Thursday, January 17, 2013

Are you called to write?

Sarah Mae wrote an article--When You Don't Have a Cabin or a Dog... But Are Still Called to Write--for Jeff Goins' blog Sarah concluded her article with questions that I feel compelled to answer. And, so please allow me to answer them here, now...


Are you called to write?

I’ve been a storyteller since childhood. In elementary school, one of my poems was published in the school newspaper—one of my short stories in the community newspaper. I’ve continued to write throughout my life.

What is stopping you from doing it?

It’s always been my dream to be an author. But I’m dyslexic. So, I told myself, how can I be a writer when I can’t even spell?

I’m still waiting for that large ‘Monty Python’ foot to stomp on my dream.



What keeps my dream alive?

Fine examples such as Jules Verne, John Irving and Agatha Christie. Prolific authors who used their fertile, creative, dyslexic minds to spin a lifetime of stories.

How can I give up when they never did?
***
Next post:  Please welcome Author T.K. Anthony
***
Work in progress...

No, Smoke the Other End
(humorous mystery)
Goal:  12 - 20 k words
Current word count:  9.777 words

The Sweater Curse:  a novel
working on revisions.
Current word count:  67,051 words

Because I live on an island, sometimes traveling from point A to point B can take a whole day. I loose an entire day to travel and the next day to playing catch-up with emails and related activity. And, besides all of that, the writing flow is blocked. So I spend another day trying to get back in the swing of that. 
There went Tuesday and Wednesday. Now it's Thursday and I'm trying to stretch this day out as long as I can. And hubby wants to invite people over on Friday.
All together now, "Oh, poor-poor, Leanne."
I have no idea how some writers can have children, a job and write. It boggles my mind.
If you do, you have my deepest respect.

2 comments:

Laurie Buchanan said...

Leanne - It's always fun to get glimpses into your life!

Leanne Dyck said...

: ) Thanks, Laurie.