Monday, August 27, 2012

#Cooking: A Lasagna recipe

Some people eat so they can cook. I defiantly cook so I can eat. I'm no Julia Child or Betty Crocker. However, my lasagna has received praise from family and friends alike.
I cook like I knit, and like I try to live--uncomplicated. So this recipe eliminates cooking the noodles before hand.

Preparation time:  approximately one hour
Cooking time:  one hour

Ingredients
2 cups (500 mL) grated cheese (I use marble)
2 cups (500 mL) cottage cheese
1 egg
1 jar (28oz/769 mL) Spaghetti sauce
10 uncooked lasagne noodles
raw mixed vegetables (I used broccoli, celery, peppers and mushrooms.)


Utensils
grater
medium bowl
9" x 13" (4L) baking dish


1. Grate cheese. Chop vegetables.
2. Combine cottage cheese, cheese, egg and vegetables in a bowl.



3. Put 2/3 cup of spaghetti sauce in the baking dish
4. Place 5 dry noodles over the sauce.
5. Place half of the cheese mixture on top of the noodles.
6. Pour another 2/3 cup of spaghetti sauce over the cheese mixture
7. Lay remaining noodles on top of spaghetti sauce and top with remaining sauce.
8. Top with remaining cheese mixture


9. The uncooked dish will keep in the fridge all day or overnight
10. Just before baking, heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees C.)
11. Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes before serving. 
Don't skip this step or you'll have a gooey mess.
And who wants to eat a gooey mess?
Not my husband. : )



It's a well balanced meal in its self. But I add garlic toast.
And I make garlic toast by...
Placing bread on a cookie sheet
Cover with melted butter
Shake on garlic spice
Pop in oven to broil until bread is dark brown--but not burnt.
As it turns out, my husband doesn't like to eat burnt toast, either.
Who knew? : )
***
Next post:  Writing:  A pep talk from my muse