Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Why write short stories

As a teenager I wrote endless stories all with no final scene. Fearful of this outcome, as an aspiring author I reduced the word count. Instead of novels, I wrote articles for craft magazines, flash fiction for literary journals and creative non-fiction for magazines. Currently as an emerging author I write novels as well as continuing to write short stories. My most recently completed short is entitled Liquefied. Inspiration for this story was the Canada Writes contest. I entered for a chance to win $1, 000.

Why write short stories?

-To find an end
-To sharpen your writing tools
-To have an opportunity to work with an editor
-To gain a readership
-To gain validation (i.e. "Yes, I am a writer--my article appeared in this magazine.")
-To build your author platform. Many book publishers advise aspiring and emerging authors to submit to literary journals
-To win a prize

Remember, everyone wins when she continues to work toward her goal.

2 comments:

holessence said...

Leanne - Here's a quote by Stephen King that I think you'll enjoy:

"A good short story is like a kiss from a stranger."

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you, Laurie.
I do enjoy it--a "excellent" quote from a talented author, and I enjoy reading Steven King too. : )