Tuesday, November 8, 2011

About me and what I write...

I was born the first, last and only daughter to a family dominated by males. I spent my childhood tagging along after male cousins. They did cool things like climb trees and jump from rooftops.

Sometimes their friends said, "She can't do that! She's a girl."

Thankfully my cousins didn't listen. Unfortunately, I did. In my young mind, I began to equate being a girl with being week. I did everything I could to hide this part of me. I'm not a girlie-girl, I told myself. This self-talk shaped my life. I became a feminist because I thought if we worked really hard women could be more.

My mom's death changed my life, in so many ways. She'd always been my sage. Once again she taught me. I witnessed first hand the steel strength she possessed. A strength nurtured by the women who encircled her.

What does it mean to be a woman? What powers do we possess? Why do we act the way we do? What challenges do we face? How do we overcome them? These are the questions that make my muse dance. I am a women's fiction author--and I'm not alone...
Women's Fiction Writers
More about Women's Fiction


2 comments:

holessence said...

Leanne - I love the questions that make your must dance!

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Nice hearing from you, Laurie. : )