Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Direct marketing tips by Leanne Dyck

When my business began in August 2002, I was living on a remote island with limited finances and no formal marketing education. By February 2003, my hand-knitting patterns were being sold in three yarn shops, my bio appeared in Knit Together: the quarterly publication of Canadian Guild of Knitters, and people from 42 countries knew of my product. What is my secret?

I did a few things right. These "things" are inexpensive and easily done. 

I work on my business and promote it daily. What one thing can you do today?

Try e-marketing. E-marketing is more effective than other direct marketing methods. It saves on postage costs, allows for quick communication with multiple prospects, and lets you know immediately if your message was received. It is an easier form of communicating with a stranger than by phone.

Here are some tips:
1) Remember that direct marketing is not Spam. Carefully match your product with prospects. Find email addresses legitimately. One of the best sources I found was association websites. Look at their mandate do they promote business in your field? If yes, then use the email addresses provided. Remember if asked you want to be able to share where you obtained their address.

2)Inform don't sell.

3)Be polite. This may be the initial contact--the prospect may not have heard of you or your product. Your goal is to be product-specific, concise, and polite.

In his book Mail Order Business, Robert W. Bly states that direct marketing 'response rates can range from below 0.5% to 3% or higher'. You need names! The worldwide web has a wealth of contacts.

Just like the wings of a butterfly, your efforts may seem small and insignificant at times... but who knows what tidal waves they are creating? Continue to work on your business--anything worth having requires effort.

(This article -- titled "Working on Your Business" -- was published in the Craftlink magazine in June 2003)