Monday, March 21, 2011

Basic knitting tutorial: Yarn (intro)

Quoting from my learn-to-knit/pattern book Yarn Therapy
Yarn
The Rural--Urban split
***
...Seen through rural eyes, an urban knitter need only open their front door to venture forth into the world of yarn. Rural knitter envision yarn shops on every corner. The reality may be sadly different. With big box stores vying for customers, establishing a small independent yarn shop is not easy.
Urban knitter chant, "Support your local yarn shop."
Rural knitters respond, "We would love to!"
Often shopping for yarn for a rural knitter requires a long dive to the nearest city. This shopping trip is squeezed into a long list of tasks. Not for the rural knitter a day devoted to visiting a multitude of yarn shops.
The Internet is the great equalizer. Access to a computer allows both rural and urban knitters to shop until they drop.
Start here...
***
Yarn Therapy is exclusively available from dragonfly gallery on Mayne Island.
***
Tomorrow one lucky and talented author will win a copy of The Sweater Curse.
Who?
All will be revealed tomorrow.

7 comments:

holessence said...

Leanne - It's Monday, that means I came across a note in my planner that says, "Visit Leanne's blog." That's how I decided to bridge the gap until you find a way for your fans to subscribe and receive email notifications of a new post.

I like your idea of supporting small independent yarn shops. It's sort of like what we do here--eat local (buy our fruits/vegetables from local growers, and support restaurants who do the same).

Great post!

The Sweater Curse said...

: ) Thank you, Laurie for your dedication and for your kind comments.
Are you on twitter?
The reason why I ask is that I do send twitter announcements regarding my blog posts. Also on www.oknitting.com under that heading "Blog" I have a list of my blog weekly offerings.
If only my computer skills were more advanced I would be able to figure out how to invite subscriptions.
I look forward to visiting your blog tomorrow.

holessence said...

Leanne - Yes, I'm on Twitter. I just found and followed you. I'm not out there much -- only on Tues/Thur when I post. And then of course when I tweet posts that I like.

The Sweater Curse said...

Hi Laurie,
I just found the solution (I hope). Please look to the right of this post. There you will find a gadget that says: Follow by Email
Please give it a try and tell me how it works, thank you.

holessence said...

Leanne - We are SO cookin' with oil! I did it and just received an email confirmation of my subscription. You go, girl!

The Sweater Curse said...

Thank you, Laurie.
So happy it worked. : )
Actually the thanks should go to blogger. They rock!

The Sweater Curse said...

Actually that came out wrong. What I should have typed was--there's no need to thank me, Laurie. The thanks should go to blogger.