Thursday, January 20, 2011

knitting in circles: free pattern

This is part of a larger post, but I'm currently (having an argument with my camera) experiencing technical difficulties. So, in want of the whole, I offer part.
*
Do you recall my pictorial tutorial on double knitting? You'll want to refer back to that post (12/17/10) because today's pattern use that technique.
*
I'm a lazy knitter and as such I've 're-invented' techniques so that I remain in my comfort zone.
*
What am I avoiding in employing the double knitting technique?
*
Answer: knitting with circular needles.
*
I know I can hear some of you, "Why would you avoid knitting with those? They're so much fun."
*
To which I say "Yes, maybe for you."
*
Anyway, today's offered free pattern:


Thirsty bottle holder



Knitting needles: 4.50 mm (7 US/ 7 UK)
Yarn: worsted weight (approximately 200 yards)
Tension: 5 stitches = one inch
*
1 x 1 rib stitch
(odd number of stitches)
Row 1: knit one, purl one--to end of row.
Repeat row for pattern
*
1 x 1 rib stitch
(even number of stitches)
Row 1: knit one, purl one--to end of row.
Row 2: purl one, knit one--to end of row.
Repeat rows 1 and 2 for pattern.
***
Cast on 45 stitches
Work using the double knitting technique for 6 inches
Divide stitches--starting with the first stitch, place every second stitch on a needle (for a total of 23 stitches). Place the remaining 22 stitches on a stitch holder.
Work both groups of stitches in a 1 x 1 rib stitch for one inch.
Cast off
**
Finishing
Sew ribbing side seams
*
Next post: How to make the I-cord strap
*
Word count: I didn't work on my WIP.
Yes, I know--I'm ashamed.
I promise to correct that situation today.
I did start reading a very well written book--Pluto's Ghost
I, as a reader, am enjoying the read.
I, as a dyslexic, not so much.
I'll explain in a future post--maybe tomorrow.

*

Please visit me, I'm visiting Kiki Howell's blog today