Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Favourite Sweater Story

I'm delighted to share the first story contribution to the My Favourite Sweater contest. The author, Laurie Buchanan, is entered to win a free copy of The Sweater Curse.

Laurie writes...
Growing up I often admired a sweater that my mother only wore on special occasions. Hand knit by my grandmother for my mother's high school graduation, the body was deep red and the yoke was intricately patterned black and white mohair.
*
Mom kept the sweater folded carefully in tissue that crinkled softly as she removed it from her cedar chest. We were instructed to "Look with your eyes, not with your hands" when she laid it on the bed as she got ready to go out to dinner with dad. While mom was in the shower, my sister and I would gently finger the mohair, and rub our cheeks against its softness.
*
I longed for the sweater. What do you suppose I received on my 15th birthday? I cried and cried when I opened the tissue and saw the sweater. I knew then that in my mother's eyes I was grown up.

Please visit Laurie's inspiring website: http://www.holessence.com/listenwithyourheart.html

Thank you so much, Laurie, for entering the contest.

Other places to visit on the web
http://30daysofdecadence.blogspot.com/
Today's post: The Christmas My Sister Blew the Head Off Malibu Barbie
by Bianca Dawson (As dictated to Kimber An)
One prize awarded everyday.

Check out my friend and fellow Mayne Island writers group member --Susan Snider-- new cookbook: Favourite Recipes Shared by Family, Friends & Me http://www.recipesyoucanmake.com
Makes a perfect holiday gift.

Later today: I enter Six Sentences Sunday
by sharing the first six sentences of The Sweater Curse

2 comments:

creativepotager said...

Oh Leanne what a wonderful story Laurie submitted. It is going to be a challenge to keep up with that one! She has set a high standard for sure.

I have already purchased Susan Snider's cookbook and hope to give some of the recipes a trial run over the holiday season.

I am also looking forward to the release of THE SWEATER CURSE - such promising intrigue.

Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you for dropping by Terrill. I heard that Susan will be at the Craft show in the Ag Hall on December 12th. I hoping to snag myself a copy then.
Happy cooking,
Leanne