Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Favourite Sweater Story: sweater history off Canada's west coast

Before publishing the submission, please allow me to add these few words.

Knitted sweaters have a long history. Traditions, fashions have come and went like the ocean tide.

Here, off Canada's west coast, Cowichan sweaters have been fashionable since 1860. Artist Joe Jack writes that 'traditional designs of animals, birds, sea creatures, geometric shapes' are knit into these sweaters. These designs 'have been passed down' for generations, generally from 'mother to daughter.' However, 'there are, and have been some excellent male knitters.' To learn more about the Cowichan sweaters, please visit: http://www.joejack.com/cowichanindiansweaters.html
To view images of Cowichan sweaters, please visit:
http://www.sa-cinn.com/cowichanmain.htm


The submission:

My name is David and I'm addicted to sweaters.
My sweater that I am presenting for your contest is a native cardigan style.
It is special to me because it has a bright orangy red motif and is cozy warm!
My good friend John in Vancouver gave it to me last week.
It is a heavy knit with outside pockets and a zipper.

Thank you David for your contribution.
Stay warm,
Leanne

Please visit 30 Days of Decadence (http://30daysofdecadence.blogspot.com) Ellen Keener shares her Christmas with you. One lucky commenter will receive a hand-made ornament.
Next post: Tutorial: the 3-needle cast off

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage that you continue your great posts, have a nice morning!