Sunday, December 16, 2018

Book review: Motherhood by Sheila Heti (autofiction)

I highly recommend Motherhood by Sheila Heti to all women--especially those 20 to 40 years of age. Women at this age face many challenging questions, such as--should I continue to focus on my career or shift my focus to family? Should I get married? Have a child?



Published by Penguin Random House UK
Published in 2018

I ordered my copy from Amazon. You can buy your copy from Galiano Island Book on Galiano Island in BC. If you can't find it on the shelf, they will order it for you. And they are hiring--so you could get a book and a job.

Some authors use setting--description--to invite readers into their stories. Others use characters--action, dialogue. Sheila Heti uses a game--flipping a coin--to not only invite us into the story but also into the mind of her protagonist, and this is where we remain. Motherhood is an exploration of ideas rather than a flight of fantasy. 

I like unique books that make me think. I loved Motherhood.

Favourite quotes...
'Happiness and joy are feeling like you belong to the world, are at home in the world, at the level of nature, humanity and time.' (p. 79)
'[L]ife is a beautiful and incredibly rare gift whose debt I will forever be in--and...I must spend my days paying back this debt.' (p. 119)
'A book lives in every person who reads it.' (p. 200) 
More...

For a good definition of autofiction, read this article:  
Fact, Fiction or Autofiction? 

Next Post...

Published on Sunday, December 23
at approximately 5 PM PT



Guest post 
Stream of Consciousness Writing, Have You Tried It?
by Melissa Chan (Literary Book Gifts)




Sharing my author journey...

As a picture book author, the time to develop patience is when

is when you are submitting your first picture book manuscript.
Please read Author James Galdstone's insightful article. Here's the link.