Sunday, July 29, 2018

The Woods by Leanne Dyck (short story)

Too early on Friday, June 22, I wrote this very short story for you. I hope you enjoy reading it.


The Woods

'into the woods' ldyck

Tall trees encircle me. Sunlight filters in through a canopy of leaves. Am I lost? No, I know these woods. A bird sings from a branch overhead.

A loud rustle.

Is it a bear?

I hear him growl. I see his teeth, his claws-- Only in my imagination.

There it is again. I head to the sound. 

Am I crazy? Maybe.

A fawn tangled in vines. 

I approach slowly, trying not to be perceived as a threat. 

Why is it alone? Where is its mother?

I move quickly to untangle its legs. 

The fawn is free. 

Her mother steps into the clearing and together they disappear into the safety of the woods. 
'graceful ladies' ldyck

August on this blog:  

August 5:  If you've ever wondered what my writing day is like, My Writing Desk (short story) should answer all your questions.
August 12:  I'm thrilled to introduce you to children's author Susin Nielsen. I know you'll enjoy reading her interview. 
August 19:  
Book review:  We Are All Molecules (YA) by Susin Nielsen
August 26:  Writers have little to show for a day's worth of work--no punched time clock, no dirty fingernails. This can lead to many misconceptions. Lazy Bones (short story) explores these misconceptions. 


'dreamy sky' ldyck

Sharing my author journey...

Do you like to travel? Do you want to promote your new release? Here's an idea (or three)...
CBC Books has compiled a guide to Canadian literary festivals. Here's the link

They all look so inviting how do you choose? It might be tempting to remain in your home province but...

Combine participation in a festival with a trip to visit friends and, or family.

Match the festival's setting to your book. For example, if your book is set in New Brunswick why not ask the organizers of the Fog Lit Festival if you can stage your launch there.

Oh, yes, and if you're a Children's author you might also be interested in these links...
BookFest
BookWeek

And see if you can pay an author visit to universities and colleges. Connecting with them on Linked In may be the first step in making this happen.

Can't travel? I've heard that some authors are connecting with readers and potential readers through Skype.

And so now you know what I've been dreaming about.

'looking down on Mayne Island' ldyck