Sunday, February 18, 2018

Self Publishing? Ah, nope by Leanne Dyck

"dreaming of spring on Mayne Island" ldyck

 Questions...


"Hey, Leanne, it's taken you so long to publish a new book have you ever thought of self-publishing?"

And...

"Hey, Leanne, have you published anything recently?"

And...


Answer...


I began my career as a self-published author. I published fiction and non-fiction for adults. It was a fun experience that challenged and informed me. I'm glad I started that way, but I have no plans to return to this path to publication.

Why?

I like the idea of joining a team of professionals. 
(meaning, I don't want to assemble a team)

And

I don't like the idea of shelling out money in order to be published--especially when there's no guarantee I will earn it all back. 

A book could be a must-read but if no one knows about it it won't become a best-seller.

Successful self-publishing, in my opinion, relies on deep pockets and a big name. I have neither. And so I seek to team-up with a recognized and trusted name publisher.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not cautioning you against self-publishing. If it makes sense to you I say go for it. It doesn't make sense to me so I won't.

The downside you'll have to wait a long time to read my next book. (estimation:  about two years after I sign a contract). In the meantime, I hope you will continue to read this blog. Thank you for your interest and for supporting my author journey.


"dreaming of spring on Mayne Island" ldyck

Next post:  Sunday, February 20th (5PM PST)
I'll share a slice of life from my days as a knitwear designer. 

Sharing my author journey...


"Abby enjoying her human pillow" ldyck
Happy Year of the dog!

To celebrate the year of the dog, I've been taking my dog for walks between working like a dog--preparing submissions. And now I'm dog tired. Wishing you good fortune.