Sunday, October 9, 2016

What did I learn this year?

Photo by Leanne Dyck on Mayne Island

And now we're six. Happy blog anniversary! And thank you for supporting this blog as it grows. As most of you know, this is the place where I've been recording my author journey. And so by supporting this blog you are supporting me. Thank you so much for reading and sharing my posts.

Year five has been a biggie. It was a foundation year. A year that I can build on. Here's some of what I learned (...or should I write learnt?)


Short story collection

LinkedIn. I could praise it high and low, but that would fill an entire post. So I'll just tell you what happened to me recently... 

LinkedIn is kind of like a cocktail party. The more people you connected with ('Connecting' on LinkedIn is like 'following' someone on Twitter or Google+) the bigger your network grows. And, on LinkedIn, people actually read other people's bios. They must because...  My bio states that I write short story collections for adults, novels for young adults and picture books for children. And a literary journal copy editor and short story collection publishers connected with me. They added me to their network. That's huge because it means they noticed me. And so what I can do, when I send them a submission, is explain that I am a member of their LinkedIn network. I have an in.

Picture books

For my birthday, my husband gave me money to go book shopping. Yeehaw!! I bought Elizabeth Gilbert's Big Magic and Writing Picture Books by Ann Whitford Paul. Gilbert's book was like reading a pep talk on how to appreciate a creative life. Writing Picture Books taught me...wow, so much. So much, in fact, that it helped me make a self-editing picture books checklist.

Young Adult Novel

Multi-published author Pam Withers organized a--on Mayne Island--workshop lead by award-winning, multi-genre author Maggie de Vries. It was an information-rich day. For example, Maggie explained how important the first chapter is and provided tips on how to set characters in time and place. She gave me helpful feedback on my YA novel.

After the workshop, Maggie de Vries visited this blog and answered questions on being a multi-genre author

I hope you have an opportunity to attend a workshop lead by Maggie de Vries. I'm sure you'll find her to be informative, supportive and generous.

Year six is shaping up to be exciting and full of change. I look forward to sharing it with you.


Picture Books in Canada




[S]uccessfully publishes and promotes a dynamic, growing list of provocative, engaging and award-winning books on mountain history, adventure travel, outdoor culture, environmental consciousness, contemportary photography and children's books. -from the RMB web site


Sharing my author journey...

"Happy Thanksgiving!"

Thank you, dear reader

You've made this journey far less lonely. Having you to type to has kept my fingers on my keyboard. Thanks to you I've gone places with my writing I could never have imagined I would go. Who knows what I'll learn or where this blog will go next. I hope you can come along. 

6 comments:

Darlene said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! and Congratulations on 6 years of blogging! That is quite a milestone. Keep writing.

Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you, Darlene, you make blogging far more fun. : )

Laurie Buchanan said...

Leanne — Happy 6th Blog Anniversary! Your list of learnings is impressive. You gained loads of information to leverage to your literary advantage. Way to rock the writing boat!

Leanne Dyck said...

And the kicker is that it was all an ocean wave of fun.
I look forward to sharing another year with you, Laurie.

Yvonne Ventresca said...

Sounds like a great year! I've been meaning to read Big Magic...

Leanne Dyck said...

It was tons of fun. I highly recommend Big Magic.