Sunday, March 1, 2015

My Twitter Strategy

This post was inspired by Annie Neugebauer's article The Great Twitter Debate:  Should You Follow Back?

(rock art by Byron Dyck)

In the beginning I followed everyone who followed me. I thought I was obligated to. If Twitter suggested that I follow someone, I did. If someone followed me, I followed them. Automatically. Without question.

But then a fellow author helped me to see the error of my ways. She explained that Twitter's suggestions are based on who you follow. If you're following every Tom, Dick and Henry then there won't be any rhyme or reason to the Twitter suggestions. If, however, you're more selective in who you follow, then Twitter will be more selective with their suggestions.

For example, I'm interested in building my author career. So I'm interested in following authors, publishers and literary agents who are interested in the genres I write – literary fiction, mysteries, thrillers and fantasy.


This strategy has worked. By using it, I've uncovered new venues to send my writing and I've found inspiring authors. What strategy do you use?


(planted by Leanne Dyck)

More...

Engagement is a better metric of success on social media than sheer number of followers. How much of your contest is being shared and read?

Twitter strategies need to focus on building your brand, which requires you to look at each aspect of your interactions on Twitter as a brand-building activity.


Here are Kevan Lee's 14 Twitter tips 



Next Monday:  What I learnt form a panel discussion on writing for children.

Sharing my author journey...

I'm in the midst of self-editing a manuscript. Writing this manuscript has taught me a lot. Self-editing continues to offer me opportunities to grow. Case-in-point, handling sentences with 'so'.
Do you write?
I found a great book. So I started reading it.
Or
I found a great book so I started reading it.
Or 
I found a great book; so I started reading it.




9 comments:

Judy Hudson said...

Good post and links Leanne. Twitter can be a confusing world without a bit of guidance.

Darlene said...

Some good points. Good luck with your revising. It is always a chore but I always feel so much better after.

Darlene said...

Do you need the word "so". Maybe just - I found a good book and started to read it.
Just a thought.

Laurie Buchanan said...

Leanne — Reading this post I learned several things I didn't know about Twitter. Thank you for being such a generous resource.

Leanne Dyck said...

You're most welcome, Judy. I think social network can be a powerful tool for authors, but there certainly is a learning curve.

Leanne Dyck said...

Hi Darlene,
Thank you for your well wishes. I am on the home stretch now. : )
Elimination of 'so' is a interesting way to go -- in fact, my husband recommended this approach. He went a little farther and said that using 'so' was lazy writing. I'm not sure I agree with that. But maybe using it sparsely would be wise.

Leanne Dyck said...

I'm very happy to hear that this post was helpful, Laurie. I enjoy passing on what I've learnt.

Yvonne Ventresca said...

I really enjoy Twitter. Sometimes I'll check an author I admire and see if they follow anyone interesting, since it's all public. I don't use Twitter's recommendations for follows, but I generally follow back other writers.

Yvonne

Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you for your comment, Yvonne. Following an author you find interesting and then following some of their followers is good advice. It's much like building a circle of friends in real time.