Sunday, March 15, 2015

A writing game: The musicial

I've been playing this game for many years. When did I start, was I a teenager or was it before then? Where did I find it? Was it an idea given to be by an inspired Language Arts teacher or did I find it by myself? I'm not sure.

Playing this game will teach you how to develop a plot. You'll learn how to take your characters from the first scene to the second to third and so and so on, until the end -- which can be a challenging learning curve. You'll not only learn how to plot  you'll also have fun.

Use whatever song, from whatever genre or band or decade.

Use the entire song or only a few lines.

Use the song as inspiration to write your own or only change a few lines or a few words or use the song as is.

Have fun.


(selfie by Leanne Dyck)

Inspired by Celtic music, this is what I created....

Three actor; four scene musical

Three actors:  an older woman, a younger woman and a man

costume:   The two women are dressed in worn clothing -- think old Irish dress. The older woman has a shawl. The man wears a suit jacket with a knit vest and high, leather boots. 

Scene I

three actors on stage
The two women stand together, stage left. 
The man is at stage right.

A fiddle and tin whistle play in the background.

The older woman pushes the younger woman to the centre stage. 

The younger woman dances as the older woman sings...




only the chorus
Step it up, Mary, my fine daughter
Step it up, Mary, if you can
Step it up, Mary, my fine daughter
Show your legs to the country man
Show your legs to the country man

The man steps forward and sings...


only the chorus
Her eyes they shone like the diamonds
I thought she was queen of the land
And her hair hung over her shoulder
Tied up with a black velvet band

(photo by Leanne Dyck)

Scene II

two actors on stage:  the man and the young woman
The man kneels and takes the young woman's hand
He sings...


only the chorus
And it's no, neigh, never (he pounds his fist into his hand 3 times)
No, neigh, never, no more
Will I play the wild rover
No never, no more

(photo by Leanne Dyck)

Scene III

costume change:  the man wears a morning coat
the young woman wears a veil

three actors on stage:  the man and the women

the man and the younger woman stand centre stage
the older woman stands stage left and sings...


He whistled and he sang 'til the green woods rang
And he won the heart of my baby

(photo by Leanne Dyck)

Scene IV

Prop:  blanket

one actor on stage

young woman, centre stage, in rocking chair, blanket in arms (as if holding a baby)

sings...


only the chorus

Too-ra-loor-ra-loor-ra, Too-ra-loor-ra-li
Too-ra-loor-ra, hush now, don't you cry
Too-ra-loor-ra, that's an Irish lullaby

fade to black


More...


WordsThaw literary festival

More fun for writers can be fun at the University of Victoria, on Vancouver Island, from Thursday, March 20 to Sunday, March 22, during WordsThaw


Here's my review of last year's WordsThaw 2014

Sharing my author journey...
I prepared five submissions last week. One of the key components of these submissions was a word or two about how I was going to help market the published book. I've found that the most effective marketing tool can have is word of mouth. (And the more word of mouths you have the better.) One of the best ways to generate this word of mouth is by partnering with a group of like-minded people. So, after much (fun) research, I wrote a list of the organizations that I felt would be interested in reading my book and would want others to read it as well. I included this list in my submission package.

"Fist Snail of the Year"
(photo by Leanne Dyck)






4 comments:

Laurie Buchanan said...

I love it. I bsolutely love it!

Leanne Dyck said...

: ) Thank you, Laurie.

letscutthecrap said...


This d.o.e.s. sound like fun. Too bad I don't know many songsh (ha-ha).

Leanne Dyck said...

: ) Thanks, Tess