Monday, April 14, 2014

An Easier Way to Achieve Your Goals


Jenny Hansen wrote an interesting article titled:  Is Fear Freezing Up Your Creativity? In the article she discussed a strategy she's used to abandon her fears and work toward her monthly goals. She concluded the article by asking a series of questions. But one stood out for me: How do you approach your goals?

I use to make a long list of goals. I even added a fun goal at the end to help with motivation--something like eat chocolate. But nothing worked. Lists were usually abandoned, half finished. Well, I chided myself. But all that did was make me feel bad. 

My overall goal was to build my author career. I knew what I needed to do to work towards this goal. I was doing it, everyday. But the lists didn't reflect this. Clearly something had to change.

2014 dawned and, with help from my friend Laurie Buchanan (of Tuesdays with Laurie), I fell into a brand new plan. This year I choose one word to summarize my goal. That word was 'keep'--as in I will keep writing; keep submitting; keep working on revisions; keep learning the writing craft; keep building community. 'Keep'--that one word is so easy to focus on. Motivated, I now do at least one thing everyday to work toward my goal. At the end of the day, I use a journal to document my progress this helps to keep me on track and motivates me to build on my daily successes.


***
Sharing my Author journey:

On March 25th I received an email from Room.
They wrote 'We'll be launching [37.1 Fashion, Trend and Personal Style edited by Taryn Hubbard & Nailah King] at Cottage Bistro, located at 4468 Main Street in Vancouver on April 17 alongside EVENT, Poetry is Dead and PRISM International. The fun starts at 7 p.m. and will feature a reader from each of the four magazines. Hope to see you there.'
And I will be there.
Why?
-Attending this event will motivate me to continue to work on my career
-I have and will continue to submit to many of these magazines so I'm interested in learning more about them
-Attending this event gives me practice in networking
-Attending this event presents me with an opportunity to promote this blog
***
Guest post Friday:  Interview with author Alexandra Bogdanovic

6 comments:

Amber said...

Good for you, Leanne. Dylan wrote, "The only thing we knew how to do was to keep on keeping on." And look where it got him.

Leanne Dyck said...

I didn't know this quote, Amber. Thank you for sharing it. It does help me to continue to focus on what I can control--which is, after all, all I can do. : )

Robert Mackay said...

Hi Leanne. I think a very valuable idea is writing down at the end of the day what you have accomplished. thanks!

Leanne Dyck said...

Hi Robert,
Thank you for your comment. And I'm very glad you found that tip helpful.
All the best

DA Cairns said...

Good encouragement to persist in all things worthwhile. Thank you.

Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you for your comment, DA. And it helps me to focus on the positive. And what ever you focus on grows.