Thursday, March 21, 2013

Is it Writers' Block or...

There's been tons written about writers' block
Here you'll find 10 types of writers block and how to overcome them.
I even wrote an article about how to overcome writers' block. You can read that here
And just as I was typing the last letter on this article Write to Done published an article on how to overcome writers' block by following a map. You can read that article here.
But I ask you:  Is it really writers' block or is it your clever mind crafting a strategy?


Confession

Sometimes I stop working on writing projects. This could be a slight pause or a complete halt.

Why pause?

It gives me time to solve a plot problem.

It gives me time to improve my craft so that I may complete the story.

Another, more interesting or promising, writing project has caught my eye.

Why halt?

I’ve lost interest in the story for some reason. There are many decisions to be made while I write. What point of view will I use—first or third person? Whose story is this? What plot will I follow? My lack of interest may be the result of a wrong decision.

My inability to successfully answer the question: How will I market this manuscript and to whom? I’m building a career. If a project won’t further this career then I stop working on it.

Am I disappointed when I have to abandon a project?

Yes, somewhat. However, I firmly believe that no writing time is wasted. Each sentence, paragraph and scene you write develops your skill. And the words aren't lost. I can and have mined uncompleted projects to assemble new ones.

But If I abandon one will I finish any?

I invite you to visit my Work in progress page how many writing projects I've completed. Add to those an armful of short stories. And you'll have answer to that question.


Bottom-line

 These are my words. Deciding what to do with them is up to me.







2 comments:

Laurie Buchanan said...

"These are my words. Deciding what to do with them is up to me."

yes, Yes, YES!

Leanne Dyck said...

: ) Thank you for your comment, Laurie. You made me smile.

These are empowering times for writers. Opportunities abound to published our work.