Thursday, March 28, 2013

Reviewing Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen by Mary Sharratt


Hildegard von Bingen is an admirable character. At the tender age of eight, she is walled up in a church and her own mother turns her back on her. Many (most) would give up, roll over and die. Yet, Hildegard grabs hold of life. She has plants brought into her cell and when she's not performing her duties--singing hymns and making scared garments--she educates herself. And, later, when two other girls join her Hildegard sees it as her responsibility to share this love of life with them.
There is more to Hildegard's story. But I don't wish to spoil the adventure. You need to read this book.
However horrific the conditions... However hopeless the life... This is a moving story; told tenderly and with great respect for the woman behind the legend.
Illuminations speaks of the power of woman--together; separate--external; internal--endless.
Thank you, Mary Sharratt, for another fine read. 

Buy Link
***
You'll find my review of Daughters of Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt here
You'll find my interview with Mary Sharratt here
***
Work in progress
 Is the Reverend Dead?
Current word count:  6,727 words
I'm thoroughly enjoying working on this fun project.

Lesson from Yoga class:  I'm. Here. Now. Embrace the Here. Embrace the Now. Know that you're meant to be exactly where you are. So BE.
***
I'm exciting to write that I will be attending the 3rd Annual LitFest New Westminster. It's a free event held at Douglas College (700 Royal Avenue, New Westminster) And as their website says, 'The day is filled with workshops, author lectures, book signings and more...followed by an evening showcase event featuring music, dance and spoken word.' 
So mark your calendar:  Saturday, April 13th
Visit the website:  http://www.ticketstonight.ca/includes/events/index.cfm?action=displayDetail&eventid=6545
***
Have you heard of this new play:  My Turquoise Years
It'll be on the Granville Island Stage from April 4th to May 4th

2 comments:

Laurie Buchanan said...

I've added this title to my must-read list, thank you!

Leanne Dyck said...

Great! I know you'll enjoy it, Laurie.