Thursday, July 19, 2012

Stage your own virtual #writing conference

If you can dream it,
You can do it.

I love attending writing events. It's fun to chat with other authors. The information I receive through the lectures are like gems delivered by those who have been there done that. Unfortunately, for one reason or another, it's not always possible for me to attend writing conferences.
Does this mean I have to miss out?
Nope. With a little imagination and the a few 'url's I can create my own.
Here's one I attended just recently...

Networking (or playing with words with others)...
Five Sentence Fiction 
Lillie McFerrin's weekly invitation be inspired by one word and then share your five sentence story

Word War
R.J. Ropsen's group writing exercise. R.J. invites you 'add a new sentence to the story until the end of the week.'

Workshops
Free online writing resource...
Have you heard of the Purdue Online Writing Lab (check it out)
Here's the site map
A subject that immediately caught my eye:  Book Proposals
Why didn't I find this a few months earlier?
Oh, yes, that would have been nice.
In order to use this invaluable service, however, you need to know what you don't know. This can be tricky.

The Great Courses is having a sale.
80% university level courses until August 2nd
If you enjoy correspondence courses, you should definitely check out this site.
I ordered...
Building Great Sentences:  Exploring the Writer's Craft 
and
Analysis and Critique:  How to Engage and Write about Anything

Inspired?
Hope so.
Why don't you create your own?