Monday, February 6, 2012

#knitting: beginning a career in knitwear design

Recently, I led a discussion regarding The Beginning, Middle and End of a career in Knitwear Design.
Where did I acquire my knowledge on this topic?
Well, my career began in August, 2002 and ended in January, 2011. During this time I was a member of the Canadian Knitwear Designers and Artisans as well as the Knitwear Designer Association. I have over 25 designs in my collection. I sold patterns to knitters from Canada, USA, the UK, Japan, Israel and Australia. Designs were featured in A Needle Pulling Thread craft magazine, Accord Publishing's Knitting Calendars and Knit Together (a knitting magazine no longer being published).
Some tips for beginning a career in knitwear design
think of yourself as an apprentice
-learn as much as you can about the craft from a variety of sources
 online
workshops
one-on-one from other knitters/knitwear designers/yarn producers
-develop a system for recording and collecting your design ideas
-gleam inspiration from a variety of needlecrafts
-assemble resources (books, websites)
*
as you attend workshops
 -network with knitters/knitwear designers/yarn producers/magazine publishers
-have a 'community building' or win-win mindset
-take note of the most popular workshops
file this information away for the future when you will be offering your own workshops
*
When you begin to write your patterns seek the assistance of knitters. They are invaluable resources to proofread your patterns.
Feedback (questions, comments, etc.) is very gratefully appreciated.
***
Next post:  writing:  how do you spell disabled?
Next Monday:  we continue with our discussion (A career in knitwear design)

4 comments:

Diane Stephenson said...

I spent many years knitting (and crocheting) to earn income. During those years I did some designing as well. But that was back in the 90s, and I haven't knitted anything for a very long time now. I did enjoy it, though. Sometimes I think I would like to get back at it, but then I realize my writing takes up too much of the little time I have. And so it gets pushed further and further into the future. Maybe one day...maybe not.

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you for commenting, Diane. It is a challenge juggling both designing and writing. Like yourself, I selected to choose writing. It is good to stay open to possiblities. It's my belief, that if you want something, you can make it happen--it's only a matter of time.

holessence said...

Not only good for knitwear designers, "Think of yourself as an apprentice" is a great piece of advice for this very thing we call life :)

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you, Laurie. Yes, it's amazing what you can learn and from whom.