Wednesday, February 8, 2012

#reading: starting our book club


I'm concerned that what I wrote yesterday could be misinterpreted. I didn't write with a view that by trying dyslexia can be overcome. I don't need to be cured. Although it took many years for me to realize this, I now see, there's nothing wrong with my brain. It doesn't need to be fixed.
What I did mean was that, as a young writer, I felt my ability to write or even to navigate through life was reliant on someone else. I didn't trust my own abilities to find solutions or to adapt. This is ironic because problem solving is where dyslexics excel.
Dyslexia isn't a disease--it's a way of thinking. We have abilities and limitations. An area of frustration is language, are words. It takes me, on average, about three months to read a paperback.
Why do I bother?
I read because...
-I love stories
-I enjoy exploring concepts and ideas
-I like meeting and getting to know characters
-I like connecting the dots of plot
As I can comprehend language more easily than I can process it, I enjoy listening to audio books. However, I prefer to hear my own voice reading so I usually choose to savour books. There is nothing more glorious, for me, then the discovery of a well-written, captivating story. That's what I will seek out and bring to you here--every second Wednesday. I will continue to blog five days a week.
How reading Wednesday will work...
1st week:  I will supply details about the book such as title, author, publisher and blurb. This will allow you to purchase, begin to read or--if you're like my husband--finish reading the book.
2nd week:  I will share what I discovered between the covers.
Occasionally, Wednesday will hold other treasures. I hope you will join me on this adventure.
Other words on reading:  link
Canadian book readers love it:  Canada reads
"And seriously what? Voting off On A Cold Road--what?"
***
Next post:  The Versatile Blogger Award

2 comments:

holessence said...

This is a great post, Leanne!

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you, Laurie. I hope that you participate in our book club.