Monday, July 4, 2011

String Bikini Gloves (free knitting pattern) by Leanne Dyck

Fun and quick to knit for a beginner knitter.

The String Bikini Gloves

Knitting needles: one pair of straight needles 4.50 mm/ 7 US/ 7 UK two double-pointed needles Or size to obtain tension 

Yarn: light worsted weight cotton/acrylic blend one 50-gram ball will make two pairs of gloves (size large) 

Gauge: 5 stitches x 8 rows = one inch over Stockinette stitch 

4 x 4 rib (over even number of stitches) row 1: knit 4, purl 4--continue to end of row Repeat row for pattern 

1 x 1 rib (over even number of stitches) row 1: knit 1, purl 1--continue to end of row Repeat row for pattern

Wrist (make two) Cast on 40 stitches Work in 4 x 4 rib for two inches Cast off

Fingers (make two) Cast on 14 stitches Work in 1 x 1 rib for one inch Cast off

I-cord (make six) 

YouTube Video:  How to make I-cord

Note: Small to large sizes are provided. Instructions for medium and large sizes appear in the brackets. 

Make four I-cord two inches long Make two I-cords two (two and a half, three) inches long 

Finishing Sew wrist and finger seams Sew long I-cord from middle finger to wrist. Sew one small I-cord from ring finger to wrist. Sew one small I-cord from middle finger to wrist. Weave in ends. ldyck(c)06/06