Sunday, September 24, 2023

Book Review: I Only Read Murders by Ian Ferguson & Will Ferguson (cozy mystery)

 I Only Read Murder is a cozy mystery set against the backdrop of the staging of a historical murder mystery--Death Is the Dickens, written by a local playwright. The setting plays a key role in cozy mysteries. This novel is set in Happy Rock, Oregon...

'Everyone moved slower out here, more leisurely, as though time were less pressing. It was a watercolor come to life. A doily of a town, with marigolds and flowering begnias spilling out of streetlamps baskets. Happy Rock hadn't been built; it had been crocheted into existence.'

(p. 22)

It's a cozy mystery that asks the question: What do you do when you're lost? Can you go home again?


photo by ldyck


I Only Read Murder

Ian Ferguson & Will Ferguson

Harper Collins

cozy mystery

2023

311 pp


Fifteen years ago, Minnesota-born Miranda Abbott left Oregon and her newlywedded husband to pursue fame and fortune. She found both as the star of the popular TV mystery Pastor Fran Investigates.

Fifteen years later, forty-something Miranda has lost her fame and she has lost her fortune.

A postcard from her estranged husband sends her travelling back--a sixteen hours and thirty-seven minutes bus ride--to Happy Rock, Oregon. Will she find love? Will she find murder? What will happen when Actor Miranda investigates?


What did other reviewers think?...

Anne Logan's Review


More recommended books by Will Ferguson

Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw

419

The Shoe on the Roof



On this blog in October...

I'm very happy with the short stories that I've selected for this month. All three have been polished and they're ready to be read by you. That's not the problem. The problem is the book reviews. I'd planned

to review two books this month. I had a stack of possibilities. I started reading a book but soon realized that I'd bitten off more than I could chew. That book simply has too many pages. I abandoned it and began reading another but that story collection just didn’t hold my interest. I selected another. However, it soon became apparent that I couldn’t continue to read it—that book had required additional editing before going to the printer. I returned to my stack of books. This book was one that I’d been in my TBR (to be read) pile for a while. Now was the time. I flipped it open and began to read. I was captivated until… Mona Awad’s new book Rouge arrived in the mail. I couldn’t wait. Now the question is: Will I get Rouge read and reviewed in time to return to the other book OR… 

Sunday, October 1
An Ancient Tune
This short story draws inspiration from Coldplay's Viva La Vida

Sunday, October 8
Great Aunt Margaret's Knitting
I was inspired to rewrite this short story after reading 

Sunday, October 15
How...how will I fill this Sunday?
Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Sunday, October 22
Book Review: Rouge by Mona Awad
I'm currently on chapter 6 and am loving it.

Sunday, October 29
Ghosted
Do you believe in ghosts? I do. Here's why...