Sunday, July 16, 2023

Expresso (short story) by Leanne Dyck

 Thanks to Deb Foote and Linda Smith for inspiring this story of island hospitality.

Expresso

The hood of my rain jacket provides some protection from the pouring rain. Backpack over one shoulder, large suitcase at my feet, I wait.


photo by ldyck


Drivers don’t have to take the first in line;

you don’t have to accept a ride—that’s fine

It’s at your own risk if you take a lift;

the ride is free, so consider it a gift. 

-Anonymous


The sign I stand beside offers me hope that someone will help me—even though I'm a stranger on this remote island.

And someone does stop. The driver rolls down her window. White hair. Wrinkles. Why does she look familiar?

"You shouldn't stand in the rain," she scolds. "You'll get a cold, the flu."

If I had a choice...

"Put your luggage in my trunk. I'll give you a ride."

She must press a button because the trunk springs open.

I do what I'm told. When I climb into the passenger seat, I notice that she's wearing a BC Ferries jacket. So that's where I must have seen her.

"I’m sure it feels good to be released from that burden. Are you planning a long holiday?"

"I'm moving..." The commitment weighs me down. "here," I whisper.

"Moving to Mayne Island requires an adjustment in your mindset...in a lot of things, actually. But living happily on a remote island is a goal that can be achieved. I’m living proof. I didn’t always… It took time and effort, but now I can say with confidence that I truly enjoy living here.” She smiles and that smile lights her face. “What's your name, girl?"

"Salsa." We're sitting side-by-side in her car. I speak loudly, clearly. I know she has heard me but she says, "Sally, do you enjoy indulging in expresso? There's an expresso club on the island. We meet every Thursday night to sip and chat. You should come. Yes, I think you'll fit into our group very nicely. It's settled. You're coming. Now where should I take you?"

I give her directions and she gives me her name—Aster. She tells me to call her Ash.


July on this blog...

Sunday, July 23

Book Review: The Sleeping Car Porter by Suzette Mayr

2022 Scotiabank Giller winner

Sunday, July 30

Dog or Wolf (short story) by Leanne Dyck

a fable


Surprise...

From late spring to early autumn, I like to read outside in my backyard. That's where I was last Thursday when I heard a rustle in the bush. Was it a bear? Or a...? 

No, it was a...

photo by byron dyck

As I approached, the fawn didn't move a muscle. I thought that was odd and I feared that something was truly wrong. I remembered my lessons growing up in rural Manitoba and didn't try to touch the fawn--if you get your scent on a baby animal or bird the mother could reject it. I alerted my husband Byron to the situation and he thought that the mother would come to claim it if we just left it alone. Later, Byron checked on it and thought, by how it was sitting, that the fawn may have a broken leg. He waited until the evening and then went back again to see what he could do. Turns out that the fawn didn't have a broken leg but it was stuck. Byron helped the fawn escape the fence and reunite with its mother--a happy ending for our little visitor. 

Did you know that does must find safe places in the woods for their fawns to wait while they go about their day? To forage for food does are required to do a lot of walking--too much for a young fawn. 

If you find a fawn in the woods, the best thing you can do is leave it alone. The mother doe will come to collect it at dawn or dusk. If it is injured or has been abandoned for twenty-four hours call animal rescue.