Sunday, April 10, 2022

Is the Reverend Dead? by Leanne Dyck (a mystery inspired by remote island life) Ch 15

 chapter fourteen: Conner, Mrs. Hazelton's grandson, confesses to accidentally murdering Reverend Paulson.


photo by ldyck

Is the Reverend Dead?

Chapter Fifteen

Arthur!” Honestly, sometimes that man. He just doesn’t listen. I storm up to the TV and turn it off. Finally, he looks at me. “We have to go to the police station.”

“Okay, say ‘hi’ to Officer Boyd for me.”

“No, Arthur, you’re not hearing me. We have to go. You have to come with us.”

“I’m sure you can handle it.”

“Arthur, our grandson killed the Reverend!”

“What? Who killed….?”

“We don’t have time. I’ll explain in the car.”

Arthur hoists himself out of his easy chair and goes off to search for the car keys.

As quickly as my old lady legs can carry me, I make my way from the living room to the spare room. No voices leak into the hall. I knock; there’s no answer. I push the door open. The room is empty—no Conner, no Paisley. The window is open. They must have—. “Arthur! They’re gone.”

“They couldn’t have gotten far on foot.”

I glance at the alarm clock by the bed. “The ferry. If Conner catches it, he’ll be a fugitive. When they catch him they’ll throw him in jail. His future will be making license plates.”

“Well, we’ll just have to find him before he gets to the ferry.” Arthur jiggles the car keys.

photo by ldyck

Chapter Sixteen



Are you following me?



Sharing my Author Journey...

Last week was a challenge. The power went out at least twice--was it three times. Days

blurred together. During the first power outage I took it as a challenge to not let it stop me from working--writing, something I love. And so my pen flew. But, I must admit, by the second or third outage I was drained. I was also annoyed about the forced neglect of my beloved blog. So I invested a lot of TLC here. It felt so good to be back but I couldn't help thinking about all the other things that needed doing. I'm now about a week--or more--behind. I know I'll get back on track but while I do I will still take time to enjoy the now. For example...

Salt Spring Island's bookfacefriday. Check it out, this is one of my favourites. To join the fun, follow sslibrary on Twitter.