Thursday, February 3, 2022

Book Review: Away (historical fiction) by Jane Urquhart, published by McClelland & Stewart

 "Esther O'Malley Robertons...was told a story at twelve that calmed her down and put her in her place. Now, as an old woman [82 years old in June 1982], she wants to tell this story to herself and the Great Lakes." (p. 3)

It's a story brimming with mysticism, adventure, romance. It's a family legend that hides a three-generation-old secret. To tell the story, to hear the story is to ensure the survival of a culture.

"Everything began in 1842,...on the island of Rathlin which lies off the most northern coast of Ireland." (p. 4)



Buy this Book

From an Independent Bookstore in

Canada

United States

Away

Jane Urquhart

published by McClelland & Stewart

published in 1997

356 pages

Jane Urquhart is one of my favourite authors. Away is one of my favourite books. The prose reads like poetry; the transitions are as smooth as a calm sea. I savored the story. I desired to see, hear, taste each word, each scene. I read carefully--fearful that I would miss something.

As a writer, my goal is to study the writing craft as I read a captivating story. Away floats my boat.


photo by ldyck

On this blog in February...

Wednesday, February 2
World Read Aloud Day
The world will be celebrating reading aloud and so will I. My blog article will feature advice on how to read to your child(ren) and stories about reading aloud.

Sunday, February 6
Short Story
Reading Picture Books
Emma loves to look at books and that's all she wants to do, but Grandma doesn't want them to be late for lunch.

Wednesday, February 9
Author Reading
Suggestions, please
I am forever grateful for your amazing--and at times, surprising--suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Sunday, February 13
Book Review
Dear Evelyn
Kathy Page
A romance to celebrate St. Valentine's Day

Wednesday, February 16
Author Reading
Suggestions, please

Sunday, February 20
Short Fiction
Is the Reverend Dead?
Inspired by remote island life, this 17-chapter short fiction piece is set in the time of Lent leading to and including Easter. It's not your usual cozy mystery.
I plan to share two chapters of this story every week--every Sunday and Wednesday--until Easter Sunday--Sunday, April 17.




Yesterday, I started listening to... 


And I look forward to listening to more this week.


No make-up, hair pulled back. I'm not hiding behind anything--but my glasses--in this selfie.


Are you still hiding?

Last Christmas I re-watched a music video for Wham's song Last Christmas. In the video, George Micheal plays a guy pining for his ex-girlfriend.

Years ago, when I watched the video for the first time, I remember swooning over George. I thought he was so cute!

Re-watching the video I still thought George was cute (although, arguably, he was cuter with short hair). However, the strongest emotion I felt was sadness.


George Micheal came out to the world as gay on TV with the words "I don't feel any shame whatsoever."

And he had no reason to feel shame. None. And yet he was forced to hide who he was in that "Last Christmas" video. Because... Because of the times, we were living in. 

But now... In 2022... If George's video was shot today he wouldn't have to hide. He could be filmed pining away for his boyfriend. 

In 2022, no one is h--.

A couple of weeks ago, I listened to a radio program about life transitions--a variety of people shared their apprehension about moving from one stage of life to another. I don't remember much about the program but I do remember a young man. A new university graduate, he was preparing to enter the workforce. I felt a commonality with the young man--let's call him Devin--because he was dyslexic. Devin felt supported in his studies. He worried that he won't find the same support in his work environment.

After Devin shared his story, the host introduced him to an older successful man--let's call him Bill. Bill was able to put many of Devin's worries to rest. He even framed dyslexia in a positive light, citing many of the positive attributes dyslexics share--such as the ability to look at things from a truly unique perspective. When Devin expressed apprehension at coming out at work, Bill encouraged him to take that step, saying something like, "Your right work environment will support you because they know how valuable you are." 

It was a heart-warming exchange until... Until Bill told Devin to be careful who he came out to outside of work. He said that not everyone understands dyslexia.

Why, in this day and age, in 2022, do we still have to hide? 

Dyslexia is part of who I am. I'm proud of my dyslexic brain. It helps me in so many ways--including being a better writer. 

To learn more about dyslexia, I recommend reading The Gift of Dyslexia by Ron Davis.

I say-- No, Harvey Milk said it better.

"Burst down those closet doors, once and for all, and stand up, and start to fight." -Harvey Milk 

I've come a long way, but I have a long way yet to go. For example, I sometimes find myself saying things like, "My struggles with dyslexia" or "I overcame dyslexia."

Nope.

Dyslexia is part of who I am. 

I'm learning to say things like, "As a dyslexic, I struggle to meet society's expectations." 

Today I found, Emily Ladau's book Demystifying Disability and added it to my must-read list. (I've already exceeded my book-buying budget. So I'll have to wait a bit. But I've added the title.)