Sunday, December 19, 2021

Book Review: As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales From the Making of The Princess Bride (memoir) by Cary Elwes, published by Simon and Schuster

From auditions to table readings to sword-fighting training to filming, Cary Elwes shares his journey to becoming Westley in the movie The Princess Bride.


From an Independent Bookstore in

Canada

United States

As You Wish: 

Inconceivable Tales From the Making of The Princess Bride

Cary Elwes

Published by Atria Paperback

an imprint of Simon & Schuster

Published in 2016

239 pages

The Princess Bride was one of the first movies my then-boyfriend, now-husband and I watched together. In fact, as a blushing bride, I walked down the aisle to Storybook Love by Mark Knopfler and Willy DeVille. So when my husband brought home a copy of As You Wish I knew I had to read it. And I learned...

Twenty-something, Cary Elwes was just embarking on his acting career when director Rob Reiner saw him in Lady Jane (a movie about Jane Grey) and thought, that's my Westley (one of the two leads in the movie). Carey Elwes was thrilled. He's a fan of the book the movie is based on--having first read it when he was thirteen. 

Many directors--including Robert Redford--had tried to make the movie but author William Goldman was reluctant. Of all his books, The Princess Bride was his favourite. He'd written it for his daughters. As well, directors were warned that the book was too diverse in genre to be a movie.

Rob Reiner managed to get the rights, held onto his carefully crafted vision, persevered and a movie was made.

'We had the right actors, the right crew, the right script, and a sure hand at the helm in Rob.' (p. 114)

People have always loved The Princess Bride. After its first viewing during a Toronto film festival, it won the People's Choice Award.

The challenge was marketing the movie--with such a diverse genre blend which genre should be emphasized? 

Cary Elwes' As You Wish reads like a love letter to the fans of the movie The Princess Bride.



On this blog in December...


Friday, December 24
Christmas Eve
Short Story
My CBC Radio Christmas Tradition
Leanne Dyck
A short story inspired by Alan Maitland's reading of The Shepherd by Frederick Forsyth.

Sunday, December 26
Bonus Content
The Other Side
Leanne Dyck
As The Other Side was hands down the most popular "anything" I shared this year, I thought you might be interested in reading this scene.

Wednesday, December 29
Podcast: Author Reading
I got engaged to protect something precious to me--my life.