Sunday, September 19, 2021

He Saved Me (short story) by Leanne Dyck

 This short story could be a romance but it makes a sharp left-hand turn into the weird.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. I didn't always look like this. I used to weigh double, no triple my current weight. 'Piggy', 'Tub of Lard', 'Fatso'--that was me.

In front of me, people said, "Pretty face shame 'bout the body." Behind my back, they sneered, "Doesn't she care how she looks?"

If they only knew how much, I was obsessed with losing weight. I tried dieting, vomiting, exercising, fasting--I tried it all, nothing worked.

I drown my self-hatred in glass after glass of wine, at my local bar. One night, feeling the buzz, I told myself, that's it. I want to end this pain. I don't have anything to live for. No one will care when I'm gone. No one.

I would have followed through on that plan but an odd thing happened. A melt-your-heart-gorgeous guy smiled...at...me. I ignored him. I told myself he had to be one of those guys who thinks it's hilarious to hit on the ugly chick.

He stood up, walked over, and sat down beside me. "Hello, beautiful. My name's Cody." His eyes caressed my body like he liked what he saw.

I wanted to throw my drink in his face, but I'd finished it. So I made to leave, but he grabbed my arm.

"Believe me. I don't play games; I'm interested," he told me.

Yeah, right. I wanted to laugh in his face, but I just sat there numb.

Every day for weeks, after that, I found love letters in my email inbox, roses waited for me at work, invitations to romantic evenings were left on my voicemail. He pursued me until I finally said, "Yes."

Well, he poured out the charm in buckets--wining and dining me. And for the first time in my life, I felt attractive, desirable.

One night, in an upscale restaurant, Cody reached for my hand. "Will you come away with me? I've found a charming country inn on a remote island. We'll spend every day together. We'll barely leave our room," He squeezed my hand. "our bed."

Oh, his smile. How could I refuse? Why?

So I packed my bags. The island was beautiful--from what I saw of it. I was too busy. If you know what I mean.

One morning, I woke up to his voice on the phone. "I need a steak knife and a fork." I guessed he was talking to the front desk. "Please wrap them in a tea towel and bring them to our door. Knock once and leave." It was an odd request. And I didn't know why he'd made it, but I would learn.

During that magical weekend, he transformed me. He plunged the steak knife into my flesh, hacked off the fat, and popped it into his mouth. "Hmm, you taste so good. The best I've ever eaten."

Sure, I can't deny it hurt, at first--but you can get used to anything.

Bite after bite, mouthful after mouthful, he shaped me into the woman I am today. Thanks to him, I can stand tall. Now I'm a woman any man would cherish.

Sunday, September 26

Book Review

My Daugther Rehtaeh Parsons (non-fiction)
by Glen Canning

I'm very impressed by the courage and strength it took to write this book. I know whatever I write in my review will fall short of what this book deserves. Still, I have to try...

Wednesday, September 29

Author Reading Podcast

He Makes Me Feel (poem)