Sunday, May 10, 2020

From Mom (2 short stories) by Leanne Dyck


photo by a nurse (I'm guessing)

'Dad, Mom and me (I'm five days old)'

Before You



We were on a Sunday drive, weaving the car through old back roads. Clouds of dust rose around us. So, even though it was hot, we couldn't roll down the windows. Your brothers were in the backseat, jockeying for space. Your dad behind the steering wheel. And me in the passenger seat--five months pregnant with you. We called you "the baby" but we'd picked names. Patrick for a boy. Leanne for a girl. 

The front tires hit a bump, we caught air and landed hard.

Cheering from the backseat. 

But I put a hand on my belly. "Jim, be careful of Leanne." I just said your name, just like that. Like I knew I was carrying you.

And a few months later, when the weather turned cold, the air crisp, you arrived--our baby daughter Leanne.

When Mom told me this story I thought she was magical--like she'd conjured me.



photo by Dad

Mom (baby soft post-cancer hair) and me (a perm) (I'm in my early 20s in this picture)
Mom knit the sweater I'm wearing.

After Me


Healing my life after my mom's death has been a long, slow process. This is a short story about something that did help.


A year after her death, I had a dream. Mom and I were doing the dishes. She washed and I dried. She scooped her hand into the sink, blew and covered me with bubbles.

"Hey." I laughed.

"That's better." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a folded note. "Read this when it's time for you to wake up."


A mother's worries are many,
joys are far too few,
one of my greatest joys is to see you happy,
so smile, darn you,
signed
Your Mother


photo by ldyck


More... 

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

One of my favourite picture books. As an Early Childhood Educator, I remember many happy hours reading this book to the children in my care.

A Memoir of Miracle Cures and other Disasters
by Rachel Matlow

I've just heard about this book, but it looks good.


An inspiring and uplifting video.

For those of us who find this day a little difficult.



Next Sunday evening

May 17th

How-to write short stories 

a collection of articles on how-to write short stories written by me and other authors--like Stephen King. 







Are you following me?

Facebook
Twitter
Linked In