Sunday, May 6, 2018

Blue Skies (short story) by Leanne Dyck

photo by ldyck

A hand like a vise around my wrist. I'm sinking. Down, down, down I go--into his pit. Bones. Rot. Decay. There he keeps me for days, months, years. 

What is time without sunlight? 

How I hunger for something more.

"Show me the world," I beg.

"This is it. This is all. The world is dirty, dark, sad." 

But I remember... Blue skies. Bird songs. Fragrant flowers. The smell of rain. Buds on trees. Soft green grass. The warmth of the sun. Or was that all a dream?

From up above... The sweet singing of birds... Up above... Past the bones, past the rot, past the decay, to something...something blue. 

Reaching, stretching, jumping, I wrap a hand around a root and pull. I reach even higher and wrap my other hand around a branch and pull. Up, up, up. Soon I'll be free. 

"Hey, what are you doing?" I feel a hand around my ankle. "You can't leave me." He drags me down back into his pit. "It isn't safe up there." He cuts off one of my arms. "This is where you belong." He cuts off the other. "This is all."

Now I'm trapped. Though I try, I can't get away. This pit is my only world.

But...but blue skies, green grass, flowers, sunshine, rain... My dreams fill with them. I live in my imagination. And I am free.


photo by ldyck

Next post:  Sunday, May 13 at approximately 5 PM PST
A New Reality (short story)
What's it like to be the mother of a child with dyslexia?
I don't know. I've never been a mother. But I have imagined the feeling in this short story.


photo by ldyck

Sharing my author journey...

Imagine if you were a lump of dough cradled in a loaf pan, under a heated towel--cozy and warm. But then...but then you begin to rise. You're growing bigger than you ever imagined. You know that weird and wild feeling? I think I'm beginning to understand it.