Sunday, April 22, 2018

The Lure of Yarn (short story) by Leanne Dyck

Do you enjoy knitting or are you addicted? Did someone teach you to knit or did they get you hooked?



photo by ldyck

A friend taught me to cast on. I knit a scarf--just a scarf. But, oh... The feel of the yarn as it slipped through my fingers... The soothing repetitive movements of my hands as I manipulated the needles... The click, click, click, the singing of the needles... I knit another scarf and another and another.

"Knitting is so relaxing," I said when people asked about my hobby--even when they didn't. "You should try it." I forced yarn and needles at them. Some of them walked away. Others ran.

All I wanted to do was knit. I couldn't stop myself. I wasn't myself. Something else had taken over.

Then came the hard stuff--colourwork, lace, cables:  stitch after stitch, row after row.

"Let's go to a movie." My boyfriend tried to hide his worry. "Dancing? To the art gallery?" He gulped. "To the ballet?"

"Wish I could but I have to work late." That was a lie. I shuck off to my local yarn shop where I bought yarn--more and more yarn. I hide it in every closet in my tiny apartment and under the bed.

It's too late for me. I'm lost to the click, click, click. But you, my friend, there's hope for you. No, don't touch those needles. Stay away from that yarn. Heed my words--never cast on.

*Re-written from a story published in my first book, Novelty Yarn.



photo by ldyck

Next post:  Valuing my words
Published on Sunday, April 29 (at approximately 5 PM PT)



'Happy Earth Day' ldyck

Sharing my Author Journey...

Feeling like I could increase the amount of work I get done daily with a little structure, this week I began assigning time for each task (social networking, preparing submissions, working on projects, etc.). Hopefully, this will yield positive results. We shall see. : )

And so far, so good. I've learned to treat my schedule like an outline. It's not craved in wood, more like in jello--flexible when necessary. And the experience continues.