Sunday, January 14, 2018

My Writing Strategy for 2018

"Beyond the Fog" ldyck

I write in many different genres. To date, I've written...


37 picture books for children
1 YA novel
6 short story collections for adults (includes a composite  novel)

My goal is to break into traditional publishing. (I began my career as an indie author. And was also published by a small press.)

Picture books are reported to be hard to break into and this has held true for me. So in 2018, they will take a back seat to my other work. This doesn't mean I will stop writing them--never shut the door on inspiration. They simply won't be my focus.

You may know that I've been writing a middle grade novel (for children ages 9 to 12 years of age). This one of the first times I've attempted to write for this age group. (The second time was a short story that has potential to become something longer. Here's the link to read that story.) I will continue to work on this novel. Three short novels for adults round out my work for 2018.

This is my strategy for the new year. But my strategies like my plot lines are flexible--I remain open to inspiration and direction (provided by educated/experienced outside sources). 


"Hey, look over there" ldyck


Sharing my author journey...


You often hear it--sometimes you even read it on their web site--editors and agents are looking for fresh new voices. Yet it's still not easy for a fresh new voice (me and maybe you) to stand up and say, "Hey, I'm here." And yet I--and maybe we--need to. That's why this week I wrote:  
as an author establishing my career, it is my mission to boldly go where I've never gone before


And as I was putting the finishing touches to this article an idea for a picture book popped into my head--so cute. Go figure, eh. : )