Sunday, January 1, 2017

2017: a year of possibilities

("Hello 2017" photo by ldyck)

I know exactly what I want to accomplish this year--I want to continue to build a successful author career. 

But what is my next move?

 Should I write this story? Submit to this publisher? Should I include this information in my query?

"A" doesn't always lead to "B". It may lead to "C" and loop back to "B". "B" may not resemble what I envisioned. It may look like a waste of time or worse something to be avoided. 

The only thing I can control is my mind.


'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not.' -Ralph Waldo Emerson
'We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.' -Talmud
'A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.' -Mahatma Gandhi
( I found the last two quotes while reading Laurie Buchanan's new book--Note to Self. It's a must-read. I'll explain why in the coming months.)

To open the door to possibility, remain positive.

How do you remain positive? 

Periodically, over the coming weeks (or months), I will share my answer to this question. I invite you to share yours in the comments.
("Good-bye 2016" photo by ldyck)

Next post:  

Published on Sunday, January 8th at approximately 5 PM (ish) PST.
Short story:  Basket Weaving by Leanne Dyck
Have you heard the literary term Micro Text?
I'll explain by way of example.


Picture Books in Canada

Based in Ontario, Pajama Press is an independent children's literature publishing house.




Sharing my author journey...

This holiday has been very productive. I've re-written...or...um... finished writing (who is to say what is more accurate) two 

picture books and then wrote two more. The two I wrote from scratch seemed to come from out of the blue...

For example...

I was working away on my computer--maybe networking--when an idea hit me--like the flue (only with a lot happier result). 

And then...

A casual conversation led to someone saying, "I always thought that would make an entertaining picture book."

I love it when I'm given ideas like this. I view it as validation that I'm in the right, at the right time, doing the right thing. : )