Sunday, April 5, 2015

How-to teach writing by Leanne Dyck

This article was inspired by Roz Morris' blog post:  Can writing be taught? And what do writing teachers teach?

I was an Early Childhood Educator (a.k.a. Day Care Worker, a.k.a Child Care Provider) for over fourteen years. I saw my role as a play facilitator. Children are driven to work. They seek to master today what they couldn't yesterday. That's how the infants in my care learnt to walk, to talk, to feed themselves. We, adults, call this important work play. 

I guided, encouraged and nurtured, but I didn't say, "Today, you'll learn to walk."

Instead, I followed their led. Close observation revealed what they were most interested in learning and what level of mastery they had. Once this information was obtained, I enhanced the environment to aid them in further development.

I didn't give each child a checklist on how-to walk properly. I didn't insist that they led with their right foot. The outcome was far more important to me than the process.

The children did learn some principals along the way. For example, they learnt in order to walk they had to use their feet, to eat they needed to use their hands.

The best writing teachers teach the same way. Led by my desire to improve my writing, they guide me to growth. They don't insist that I wait to edit my manuscript until I'm finished my first draft. They don't insist I write a character sketch, when that doesn't fit with how I work. 

Instead they nurture my environment by suggesting good books to read and helping me to equip my writing toolbox with, for example, a good understanding of grammar and punctuation. Once they have equipped me with this information, they watch as I progress from writing short stories to writing novels. They celebrate my triumphs and provide me with supportive feedback on how-to improve.

More...

Becoming a Student of Your Own Creative Process by Dan Blank

Next Monday:  Review of the Active Pass festival on Mayne Island

My author journey...

This week I receive the final edits from my first readers. They were so helpful. I re-learnt techniques like parrallelism ( link ) And once I incorporated all of this helpful, useful information into my manuscript I sent it on to a publisher. It joined two others mailbox. 
stats..
9 submissions in March
2 less then last March
27 in total this year