Monday, June 23, 2014

Writer, master writing description

Summer is the time to...
Explore
Investigate
Live
Be inspired
Don't forget to take a pen and a notebook. Every experience you have can strengthen your writing.
I have an ear for dialogue but writing description is a skill I'm working on.
This week I found myself in an environment I hadn't been for years.
And so I described it...

Pools of people talking. A young guy leans across the aisle but he's too far away. I don't hear what he says or who he says it to. A bench away two twenty-something women take selfies and discuss all they see. And I wonder if they are tourists. To my right, a young woman isolates herself with earbuds and a book. What author has captured this reader's attention? She sets the book on her lap and I search the cover--a young woman with a golden braid:  Margaret Atwood's Bluebeard's Egg Atwood needs to be read by the young--old wisdom finds a young mind.

Where was I?

Did you guess right?

(photo by Byron Dyck)

Fill your mind with adventures.
Share your writing with friends.

4 comments:

SammeeSez said...

MY fave spots are any coffee bar and the Food Court--great slice of day-to-day life there as well as fodder for your stories. . .

Leanne Dyck said...

Excellent idea, SammeeSez. Although, Mayne Island (the remote I call home) is too small to afford me this experience ferry rides are a rich alternative.
Happy writing

Laurie Buchanan said...

I suspect you catch flights off the mainland or I would have said "the airport." However, like our mutual friend Terrill, I believe you use the ferry on a frequent basis. My fuss? The ferry. And by the way, I loved your descriptive paragraph!

Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you for playing along, Laurie. : ) And you're right I wasn't on an airplane. Terrill is having an amazing adventure. And it's wonderful to travel with her virtually. And I can see how you would think that I was on a ferry. But I don't that at least twice a month. My recent treat was traveling with my husband on a bus. Yes, that's right I said traveling on a bus was a treat. And may be I should get off island more. : )
By the way, we do have an island bus but it's tiny--think handivan.