Monday, November 12, 2012

Photos of a Christmas craft show on Mayne Island

November 10 was bright and sunny--a wonderful day to shop local for Christmas...

(Okay, so there's a reason why I'm not a reporter. Two reasons actually. Number one there's were many more booths then photos. Also names have never stuck in my brain. Even names of people that I know well. All I can say is, I'm sorry.)





 (Danielle's healthy treasures)

 (Amber's fun hats and must-read children's books)

 (David's wrap them around my waist belts)

 (Eden's nostalgia inspired purses and totes. Very cool and I want several.)

 (Diane's delicious preserves.)
 (beautiful jewelry. Some day I'm going to purchase one of those striking necklaces)


 (Wayne's wood cravings)

 (Celia's wonderful creations)




(Sonya's Harley Davidson Christmas stocking)

If you missed the sale, don't fret they'll be another in December.
More, more, more...
Mayne Island blogs
Farm Gate Chats
MayneNews

***
Court victory for dyslexic student(s). This link to the National Post will provide details.
This ruling is a victory for society. Here's why (link)

Note:  I would like to offer the following amendments to this article.

When the author says ‘free from their disability’, I would change this to read, offers effective coping strategies to make learning possible.

Also the author seems to suggests that all students with dyslexia shun authority and misbehave. This is not the case. For example, I withdrew from my classmates and attempted to comply with my teacher’s instructions--the best I could.
My learning disability was assessed when I was in grade two. I was fortunate to receive remediation in elementary school. However, did suffer ridicule from some students and teachers. Never the less, I persevered and developed strategies to succeed throughout my academic career. As a result, I graduated from high school with awards in Language Arts and Accounting. And, a few years later, I successfully completed university level courses.

In university, I didn't tell my professors that I was dyslexic. When one of them found out she said, "Oh, Leanne, why didn't you tell us? We could have helped you. We wouldn't expect you to climb stairs if you needed a wheelchair."

She's right. All we want is an opportunity to participate.
***
Next post:  Stone Heart (short story)
Next Monday's post:  Free hand knitting pattern: 
Children's sweater
***
Sh-h-h, it's my birthday tomorrow. Please don't tell any one. It's a secret. : )

2 comments:

Laurie Buchanan said...

I just love it when you take us on a virtual tour. And while I'm a minimalist, even I am tempted to buy, Buy, BUY (so glad I'm seeing this via photographs as opposed to in person)....

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Oh, yes, you're so right, Laurie. I walked away with treasures.