Monday, August 1, 2011

Assembling a sweater by Leanne Dyck

Today we'll discuss the sensitive topic of how to finish a sweater. It's sensitive because each knitter has their own way of attacking this goal. In truth, my approach varies slightly with each sweater. Here's how I spent two hours this morning. I collected all the little pieces--the sleeves, body, pocket and toque -- plus my supplies -- ruler, needle, pins, and scissors. I folded the sleeve in half horizontally and match the centre of the sleeve to the... where the sleeve will go on the sweater. I pinned the sleeve in place.
Attached one sleeve.
Then I attached the other and laid the sweater inside out on the table.
I folded the sweater in half horizontal to locate the centre of the sweater.
Next I attached the pocket.
I used mattress stitch to sew the seam on the cuff, hem and collar.
As well as on the underarm.
I don't use the mattress stitch to sew the body of the sweater. Other knitters do but I prefer to simply use what -- I think -- is referred to as a tailor stitch. It's both easier and -- I think -- is a nicer finish.
Last I sewed the seam on the toque using the mattress stitch.
I think this may be the cutest sweater of the litter. I'll take pictures of the others once they are finished so you can pick your own favourite.