Sunday, March 10, 2024

When Gwen Knits-a journey to fame and fortune by Leanne Dyck (The End)


"spring" photo by ldyck


Chapter Eighteen (The End)

 “I kept designing, knitting and sharing my work.” I took a sip of tea. “Now my sweaters are sold in boutiques in North America and Europe. Now yarn shops around the world sell my hand knitting patterns. Now knitters line up to attend my workshops on the Norwegian purl. And it’s all because I dared to dream and continued to work to fulfill that dream. It’s all because of Auntie Ollie, Marta and Jaron.” Tale complete, I took my knitting out of the basket beside my chair.

“What are you knitting?” Kyla asked.

“I’m just playing.” Shorthand. This time it meant designing sweaters for Pall’s first grand-baby—due in a couple of months. Pall was the last of his brothers to work the family farm back in Manitoba. Soon he would retire and pass the farm down to the next generation.

“Time for lunch, ladies,” Jaron called up the stairs. “Or should I say gals or women or...” Giving himself time to think, he called, “Come eat, knitters.”


This is me 

Photo by Glenda


Thank you for reading 

When Gwen Knits

I enjoyed sharing this story with you.

The End...

of this story but there is always more.


Re-reading? 

When Gwen Knits

Chapter one 


Next Sunday...

March 17

Interviews with Knitwear Designers

From 2012 to 2010, for this blog, I interviewed a community of knitwear designers--for this blog. These interviews offer a unique insight into the career of knitwear design.