Sunday, March 26, 2023

Mrs. Kenneth James Stevens Wants A Baby by Leanne Dyck (Ch 12)

 chapter eleven: Aster's parent-teacher conference turned into a confrontation between teacher and parent. Who's responsible for providing the extra support students like Devin need--teachers or parents or the school or...?




photo by ldyck


Chapter twelve

Lately, in hushed voices, when they thought he wasn't listening, Devin's parents spoke about someone named Aster. By listening closely, Devin broke the code--Aster was Aster Stevens was Mrs. Stevens was his teacher. He didn't like what he heard--he didn't like his dad's heavy voice or the sadness in his mom's--and so when Aster said,  “Devin, please continue reading.” Devin's creative dyslexic brain played with the name. Aster. Aster? As... "Nah, I don't think so, Assburn."

The classroom fell silent. No one dared move, or breathe.

“My name is Mrs. Stevens, young man.”

“Assburn. Assburn. Assburn,” Devin chanted.

Aster sent Devin a glance as warm as ice. “Class, please place your heads on your desks.”

A sea of heads lowered like a wave onto their desks. Every head lowered but Devin’s. 

“You all look like a bunch of robot dorks,” he told them.

First, the boys raised their heads. Then much more slowly the girls’ backs straightened until they sat bolt-upright in their chairs. Elizabeth Joy was the only pupil whose head remained on her desk.

“Devin, do as you’ve been told.”

“Shut up, Assburn. I’m no dork.”

Other boys picked up the chant. “Assburn. Assburn. Assburn.”

Elizabeth Joy straightened her back, raised her head, and snickered.

Aster flew down the aisle to where Devin sat defiantly, teetering back in his chair. “I said put your head on your desk.” She grabbed his head and slammed it onto his desk. The sound of bone connecting with steel echoed down the hall.

***

The office door was open a crack. Aster leaned into the gap and squeaked, “You wished to see me, Principal Fraser.”

“Come in and close the door.” Crisp words. With a wave of his hand, he directed her to take a seat.

Most of what was said was a blur to Aster but she did hear him say, “I had great respect for you as a teacher but...” and “immediate suspension” and “termination”.


photo by ldyck


Aster's toxic relationship with Devin continued until Aster lost control of her classroom and herself and--and now she must deal with the aftermath.


The following was inspired by my friend artist Terrill Welch's Facebook post...

'selfie' March 20, 2023
sorry about the poor quality of this image

Me
Age: 60
I don't dye my hair or use makeup or wash my face with soap--I use skin creams. 

A poem to increase self-acceptance...

Regardless of what you wear or the colour and length of your hair,

I love you

Regardless of any apparent or perceived flaws in your appearance,
I love you

Regardless of any apparent or perceived flaws in your
personality or in your physical or mental abilities,
I love you

Regardless of where you live or how much money you have,
I love you

Regardless of the mistakes you've made or will make,
I love you

Regardless of what others may say to you or about you... 
Regardless of how they may treat you,
I love you

Regardless of anything in the present, past, or future--anything, any time, anywhere,
I love you

Always remember and never forget that you can depend on my steadfast and unconditional
Love

With the understanding that to love and accept others first I must love and accept myself, I  recite the above love letter into a mirror every morning. I invite you to join me in this practice.