Wednesday, July 21, 2021

The Other Side (short fiction) Ch. 4 by Leanne Dyck

 Ch. 3 Becky, a basket of laundry in arms, invades Mara and Owen's basement apartment while Owen is still sleeping. Mara tries but is unable to keep Becky at bay.

And now... The story continues...


photo by ldyck

The Other Side

Chapter four

I work in a padded cell in the complaints department of a major telephone company. I've done the best I can to make the cubicle homey--pinning rainbows and unicorns to the walls. I tried to focus on those happy pictures as I listened to yet another irate customer.

"You disconnected my phone but I paid my bill."

Maybe her cheque was lost in the mail. Maybe she has a strained back or a broken leg. Because of what we've done she was alone--cut off from family and friends. She couldn't even order a pizza. "I'm so sorry, Mrs.--." I read the customer information on my computer screen. "Um...er...I mean Ms...." I continued to apologize until her voice softened. 

I kept a large bottle of Tums beside my keyboard. I popped a pill and washed it down with a gulp of water. 

Next customer: "There are numbers on my bill that I didn't phone."

"I'm sorry." Another pill.

I'd been working, apologizing, for two weeks. My co-workers assured me that it would get easier. I hoped that would happen soon--before I got an ulcer.

Next customer: "You said you'd install my phone. I waited all day but you didn't show up."

"I'm sorry." Another pill. I tossed the empty bottle in the garbage, opened a desk drawer, and put a new bottle by my keyboard.





Ensure you don't miss a chapter, follow me on Twitter, Linked In, and Facebook.