Sunday, August 2, 2020

Maybe Me (short story) (romance--maybe) by Leanne Dyck

photo by ldyck

Maybe Me

Do you remember how we met? I was on stage in the Commodore Ballroom on Granville or was I in the Alix Goolden on Pandora? Can't remember. It's not important. I had a maximum compacity audience--always do. But I sang to the wealthy businessman in the first row, centre seat. I sang directly to you. You were sitting beside some bimbo. I think she may have been your date. I could tell right away, by the way she looked at me, that she hated me. Hated me for my looks and my talent--let's not forget my talent. It turns out, I sang your favourite song--Why Don't You Do Right. And that was it. You were hooked. You bought me flowers; wrote me love letters. At least, that's what my personal assistant told me. I rarely deal with unsolicited correspondence. I guess you knew it would take a grand gesture to get my attention--you bought a cruise for two to Bora Bora. We fell in love. Do you remember? I think that was you. Maybe that was me.

Next Sunday evening...


Book review...


The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens
is a cautionary tale wrapped up in a heart-warming adventure


I'm still here.


photo by ldyck

Follow, follow me...


                                                Linked In


Scotiabank Giller Prize
is assembling a list 'of fiction and graphic novels published between October 2019 and September 2020'
And they'd like your help
Here's the link Crazy for Canlit 2020

The Booker Prize 2020

Spelling 'dyslexia' ...

Quiet not Quite
Your not You're
Their not They're

I make these mistakes all the time. 

What happens is similar to mistaking one twin for another. You 


know both twins. They're friends of yours. It's just that you're having an off day. 

I know that 'your' is the possessive form of you and 'you're' is a contraction for 'you are'. I can define each of the words but still  mix them up. It's not my lack of knowledge that is the problem. It's how I'm perceiving the word. 

Sounding words out doesn't always work for me--and I'm not the only dyslexic with this problem. 

What does work is--if I suspect I've spelled a word wrong--putting the word in a search engine. But I've got to suspect I've spelled a word wrong. 

You can help me. If you've noticed I've spelled a word wrong please tell me--leave a comment for me on Twitter, Facebook or Linked In. Your help with this problem is very much appreciated.