Sunday, August 18, 2019

The Invisible Woman (short story) by Leanne Dyck

The case of the mysteriously disappearing woman...

on Vancouver Island photo by ldyck

The Invisible Woman

The first time it happened I was out walking with your father. Both of us had put on a few extra pounds and we wanted to be proactive. We passed a guy I knew well. I'd grown-up beside him. We'd gone to school together.

"Hi, Archie," he called to your father. He usually had some kind of smart remark for me. This time nothing.

I called out, "Hey, Walter."

It was like he didn't even see me. People are odd is what I thought. Maybe it was my fault. Maybe I'd unknowingly upset him. Or maybe pretending he didn't see me was his latest tease. I tried not to let it bother me.

Later, at the grocery store, I noticed a new acquaintance. I wanted to say hello but couldn't remember her name. So I waited for her to acknowledge me. Nothing. I wrote it off to being preoccupied. Maybe she had invited people over and her brain was full planning the meal.

At the checkout, we saw Louise. She and I like to talk. It annoys your impatient father, but we don't care. I wait for him to shoot the breeze at the hardware store. This is my turn. But she looked right through me.

"Cash or credit?" she asked your father.

Feeling insulted, I let your father deal with her and we left.

This morning, at breakfast, you asked your father, "Hey, dad where's Mom?"--with a serious tone.

I'd just poured your juice. I'd just filled your plate with scrambled eggs and toast.

"Huh? I don't know." I know when Archie is teasing. He wasn't. 

That's when I knew something must be up. I ran to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror expecting to see my reflection--crow's feet around my eyes, laugh lines around my mouth, a few stray hairs above my upper lip and under my chin. But... It wasn't that I didn't recognize myself. It was that there was nothing to identify. All I saw was the shower curtain. I'd become invisible. 

More...

The mysterious case of the disappearing woman...

Next Sunday evening...




Book Review:  The Princess Dolls
written by Ellen Schwartz
illustrated by Mariko Ando 

Set in 1942, two girls--one Jewish-Canadian and the other Japanese-Canadian--bond over their mutual admiration for Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret