Sunday, April 28, 2019

Huldufolk (short story) by Leanne Dyck

Birth stories--some of us are given them; others of us have to find them. This short story celebrates the discoveries. Huldufolk was inspired by Icelandic folklore. I hope you enjoy reading it...

photo by ldyck

Huldufolk

When Mom tucked me in at night she told me bedtime stories. "It was a warm spring day. I sat in the park, overlooking the ocean. Out of nowhere, this woman appeared, deposited you in my arms and disappeared. Where did she go? Why did she choose me to raise you? These questions are yours to answer."
She called me her child of dust and magic. She called me a Huldufolk. 
Huldufolk? That word stuck in my ear, followed me.
After I leaned to read, I found a tall brown book among the others on the shelf--The Icelandic Heritage by Nelson S. Gerrard. This book inspired me to take pride in my race. Gerrard said we Huldufolk are superior to humans--in power and knowledge. He said we are able to hide ourselves from humans not gifted with second-sight.
When you realize the richness of your culture you become stronger -Chef Olvera
More...

Huldufolk:  Supernatural Creatures Hiding in Iceland 
Wu Mingren

In Iceland, 'respect the elves--or else' 
Oliver Wainwright


photo by ldyck
On this blog in May...


Short stories: Two stories set in daycare centres and inspired by Mother's Day
Baby Rescuer published on this blog on Sunday, May 5
Annie published on this blog on Sunday, May 19

Special post:  Wednesday, May 15
Highly recommended writers' workshop (list)
Author Ellen Schwartz is coming to Mayne Island, BC(my island home) and on May 15 I'll publish  a list of the reasons you (yes, you) should attend her writers' workshop and author talk

Book Reviews:  Two award-winning books
Bellevue Square by Michael Redhill
set in Canada 
won the 2017 Scotiabank Giller Prize
Sunday, May 12
Milkman by Anna Burns
set in Ireland
won the 2018 Man Booker Prize
Sunday, May 26



photo by bdyck

Sharing my author journey...

When is a short story not a short story?

When it's a picture book.
At the end of March, I assigned Dog versus Wolf as the short story I was going to share with you today. You may have wondered what happened to that short story. You may have been looking forward to reading it. If you were, I apology.
Here's what happened...
I gave three short stories to my beta (first) reader. I wanted her help with them before I shared them with you. I'll share Baby Reader and Annie with you in May. Of Dog versus Wolf, she said something like, "This is a picture book, right?"
That surprised me because I thought it was a short story. I re-read it and realized she was right.
Huh? What to do? I went to sleep one story short. I woke very early the next morning and wrote Huldufolk
And just now I'm wondering could a story be both a short story and a picture book? Huh? I wonder? Maybe only publishers now the answer.