Sunday, February 17, 2019

Answering Machine (short story) by Leanne Dyck

A romantic relationship fizzles away--when you finally let go and move on.


photo by ldyck

Answering Machine


He said, "I don't love you anymore." and walked away.

Leaving me in this hollow, soulless void. Leaving me.

No more warm embraces... No more passionate kisses... No more.

When the longing becomes unbearable I dial the familiar numbers. All I need is his voice.

"This is Micheal Richmond. Wait for the tone and then give me your name, number, and message."

I never wait. And I don't phone every night--maybe every second. Two sentences and I no longer feel alone.

But tonight I hear, "Heather, I know it's you."

I freeze. I can't breathe. I have no voice.

"Stop phoning me. You need to get a life."

And I know he's right.




Next Post...


Sunday, February 24 at approximately 5 PM PT

Book Review:  
The Saturday Night Ghost Club by Craig Davidson

about a boy's relationship with his uncle