Sunday, September 16, 2018

Book Review: The Shoe on the Roof by Will Ferguson



Published in 2017
Published by Simon and Schuster Canada

Thomas is a medical student specializing in the brain, and his life is falling apart. He's flunking out of university and has trashed his romantic relationship. But don't worry, he has a plan--or at least an experiment. 

I enjoy entertaining books that make me think. I read The Shoe on the Roof, it made me think and then I wrote...

If (big if) religion no longer has relevance in our society, what has replaced it? Science? Some may say, good riddance--citing the horrors done in the name of religion. But what of the horrors done in the name of science--especially in the treatment of the insane?

More...

This summer I also read...




Published in 2007
Published by Penguin Canada

What if a self-help book worked.

Target reader:  Writers building their career
'Joy is supposed to be fleeting and transitory, because it was never meant to be permanent.' (p. 267)

I bought Happiness from my local bookstore Books on Mayne
You may find it at your local bookstore or on Amazon.



photo by ldyck

Next Post:  Sunday, September 23 (at approximately 5 PM PST)
In Icelandic (short story) was inspired by something my grandma saw on a bus.


'Abby patiently waiting to continue her walk' photo by ldyck

Sharing my author journey...

I remember telling a supervisor, "I wish my skills were transferable." (Telling your boss that you want a different career isn't the smartest move, but you know.)

I didn't know then what I know now...

-in elementary school (or maybe it was middle school), I built a TV by using a cardboard box, two paper towel tubes, and a colouring book. (animation?)

-Long before I could read, I loved to share stories.

-I started reading stories to children in my early teens as first a babysitter and then a Sunday School teacher.

-I studied children's literature at the University of Winnipeg.

-In university, I wrote my first picture book--The Teeny Tiny Woman Plays Outside. My mom was the illustrator.

-Over my 14 year career in Child Day Care, I read at least two books a day. Let me see, 250 work days multiplied by 14 years multiplied by 2 that's...one whale of a lot of books.

-I created a touch and feel book for the children in my care out of odds and ends, bits and pieces. I created another one out of an old photo album and pictures cut out of old magazines.

-I ran my own children's literature bookseller business. I especially enjoyed selecting new books to add to my inventory and talking to parents. I even developed a game to make my presentations more entertaining.

-I wrote an article on reading to children for the Manitoba Child Care Worker trade newsletter. (For the Love of Books)

What I didn't know is how much I would love to write picture books for children.

If you feel stuck in your current job, I invite you to look at your life with fresh eyes. You may find that you are uniquely qualified for an exciting new career.