Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Knitted in Love--a story

Here's the story of how I developed the design for my favourite toque.

One of my island neighbours knit her husband a toque. Forty years later he still wears it.

She tells him that it has become ugly with age – he wears it. She explains that the yarn has become piled – he wears it. She says the colours have faded – he wears it.

“You knit it for me when we...when our love was oh so young,” he coos.  “I don’t want a new toque. I don’t want any toque but this one.” He draws her into his arms and kisses her.

“Oh, I give up,” she laughs.

Later, when he is having an afternoon nap, she confides in me, toque in hand. “I’m going to take this dirty old thing and burn it. You see how ugly it is!” She pauses. “Its just…its just that…he feels the cold so. Maybe if I could make one exactly like it. The same colour – the same pattern…”

“What’s the matter?” I ask.

“Well, dear,” she says. “It just won’t work.”

“Why not?”

“I lost the pattern years ago and these old hands they just won’t hold the needles.”

“I could help you,” I offer. “I can design a toque exactly like this one.”

“Really? Well, that would be wonderful dear.”  She says and hands me a shopping bag containing yarn and adds the toque.

Arriving home, I set to work. I examine the toque and am impressed – it is a clever design. There are a few things I would change, I think. I resist the impulse. I replicate the toque. I knit the last stitch, sew the seam, and weave in the ends.

After placing the remaining yarn and the toques in the shopping bag, I walk to my neighbour’s. She is pleased to see me and enquires about my progress.

“I’m finished,” I say handing her the bag.

She takes the new toque out of the bag and then hands the bag back to me. Grinning, she closely examines my work. 

Her husband sails into the kitchen, grabs the toque and says, “I’ m going for a walk.” He kisses her and waves to me.

Victorious, we wait until he leaves and then we share a laugh.

Later, with the old toque as my muse, I make alterations and produce a new pattern. 

I have knit this toque for men, for women, for children, for infants--and even for me. The toque has been enjoyed by all. I hope you enjoy knitting it.

***

Next post:  Choose your knitting instructor--scenes from The Sweater Curse

2 comments:

holessence said...

Ohhhhh Leanne - that was a FANTASTIC story!

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you, Laurie. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was based on a true story.
I finally found the name of the yarn producer--Kramer Yarns.