Sunday, March 10, 2013

This blog has won...

(Drum roll, please) I've won! The Liebster Award...



Thank you Sandra Nikolai, author of the mystery False Impressions, for nominating me.

I had tons of fun following the rules...
-paste the Liebster award in my blog post
-promote a link back to the nominator's blog
-list 11 random facts about me
-answer 11 questions asked by the person who nominated me
-nominate 11 bloggers
-create 11 new questions for my nominees

Link to the nominator's blog 
Sandra Nikolai

Eleven random facts about me:

1)I devote an hour of my day to reading books. I consider this part of my job as a writer.

2)I've been interviewed and have read my writing on the radio.

3)While in elementary school, one of my poems was published in the school newspaper; one of my short stories was published in the community newspaper

4)I'm dyslexic

5)I failed grade two but graduated from high school with awards in Language Arts and Accounting. I went on to attend university.

6)I've studied classes offered through the University of Winnipeg, the University of British Columbia, the University of Victoria and Simon Fraser University

7)I've lived in five of the ten provinces in Canada--Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia

8)I currently live on an island the size of Manhattan--only with far fewer shops and far more sheep.

9)I've been married to the same man for over twenty years.

10)I got my first pet when I was two years old--a German Shepherd I named Sam.

11)Approximately twelve years ago, my husband and I adopted three adult cats. Sadly, one died two years ago. But the other two are jugging along at over seventeen years of age. They've taught us a lot over the years.

Answers to Sandra's questions:

1)Are you a morning person?

Yes. 11 o'clock is still morning. Right? (I'm kidding.)

2)What inspires you to blog?

The opportunity to build a community with readers and authors. 
It provides a venue in which I can improve my writing.

3)What is your current W.I.P. about?

I have four book-length manuscripts that I'm currently attempting to place...

A Long Way From Her
novel 
fiction
The year is 1983. Nineteen-year-old, dyslexic Lyndi Wimpel leaves home for the first time to join a government-run youth group and travel across Canada.

The Sweater Curse:  a novel
knitting-themed dark thriller
This is a tale of two women. Aspiring knitwear designer Gwen Bjarnson is stuck in Purgatory. To escape, she must re-examine her life, journey through her past and right a wrong. But which wrong? Old and alone, knitter Aster Walburn is haunted by one question. Why did her husband leave her? Desperate to solve this mystery she journeys to her past and re-examines her married life.

No, Smoke the Other End
comic mystery
Why is Mara drawn to the laundry room in her new home? What mysteries await her there?

Her, She, I
A collection of women's fiction. All stories have an air of mystery.

4)What is the one thing you'd like to do but haven't had the opportunity?

I'd like to attend a writing retreat in England.

5)Name one of your favourite fictional characters and explain your choice.

Lyndi Wimpel the protagonist in A Long Way From Her
She faces many of the challenges I faced. But she may just be a little more funny and wee bit more inspirational. I thoroughly enjoyed our time together.

6)What is your pet peeve?

Writers who tell other writers how to write--as if there is only one way.

7)What would be your ideal holiday getaway?

Spending time with my husband in England. 

8)Who/what did you want to be when you grew up?

A vet. An embedded journalist. A teacher.

9)What is your biggest regret?

That I didn't listen to my Language Arts teacher when she said, "I think this story is good. I mean, really good. In fact, I think you should submit it to a literary journal."

10)Name two of your favourite cities in the world.

Akureyri, Iceland (which I visited in 2007)
Old Quebec city (which I visited in 1984)

11)What are the best five words that would describe you?

Creative. Determined. Youthful. Tenderhearted. Fun-loving.

The 11 bloggers I've nominated...

Lou Allin

Robin Spano

Karen and Cathy of Write Despite

Terrill Welch

Laurie Buchanan

Melodie Campbell

Joanna Penn

Amy Sue Nathan

Meg Wolfe

Kristen Lamb

Darlene Foster


My 11 questions for the 11 nominees:

1)Of the movies you've seen recently, which is your favourite?

2)If you could live anywhere in the world where would you live?

3)If you could invite anyone--living or dead/real or fictional--to a dinner party who would you invite?

4)How would you like to be remembered?

5)Use your imagination, what lives in your attic?

6)What's your favourite holiday? Why?

7)Do you sing in the shower? What do you sing?

8)Imagine that you're stranded on an island. How do you get off?

9)What's your most favourite activity?

10)Who was/is the most influential stranger in your life?

11)You have to make a meal for someone you don't like. What do you make?

***
Next post:  Don't you think it's time for another of my short stories? I think it is. And, so.... We shall. 
What about...um... Let's see...er... How about Still Life with Cats
I hope you like it.

9 comments:

Sandra Nikolai said...

Love your answers, Leanne! You've obviously had the "write" stuff in you since you were a kid. :) Your three new WIP manuscripts sound interesting. Good luck with their publication!

Leanne Dyck said...

: ) Thank you for creating the questions, Sandra. And, of course, for nominating me. It was fun! A excellent way to network.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wanted to tell you, I loved this blog post. It was inspiring.
Keep on posting!

my page voyante

Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you for your kind comment.

Laurie Buchanan said...

Leanne - CONGRATULATIONS to you for receiving the award. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your answers to the questions.

And thank you for nominating me.

darlenefoster said...

Thank you for the award Leanne. I have already been granted this award but will answer your questions in a future blog because they look like fun. It was great to learn more about you. I love spending time in England!

Leanne Dyck said...

: ) Thank you, Darlene. I look forward to reading your answers.

Andrea said...

Congratulations Leanne! You are truly an inspiration! I love writing too! Creating is one of the most natural inclinations we have. Here's to another great year of blogging!

Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you, Andrea. Lifting my virtual glass of wine and joining in the toast. "May the words flow."