Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Sentimentalists by Johanna Skibsrud

Haunted by the vivid horrors of the Vietnam War, exhausted from years spent battling his memories, Napoleon Haskell leaves his North Dakota trailer and moves to Canada.
He retreats to a small Ontario town where Henry, the father of his fallen Vietnam comrade, has a home on the shore of a manmaded lake. Under the water is the wreckage of what was once the town--and the home where Henry was raised.
When Napoleon's daughter arrives, fleeing troubles of her own, she finds her father in the twilight of his life, and rapidly slipping into senility. With love and insatiable curiosity, she devotes herself to learning the truth about his life: and trhough the fog. Napoleon's past begins to emerge.
Lyrical and riveting, The Sentimentalists is a story of what lies beneath the surface of everyday life, and of the commanding power of the past. Johanna Skibsrud's first novel marks the debut of a powerful new voice in Canadian ficiton.

Buy link

The Sentimentalist is the fourth book I've offered on reading Wednesday.
On February 8, 2012 I wrote a post regarding my desire to start a book club. At this time I explained how I wanted to run this club....
1st week:  I will supply details about the book such as title, author, publisher and blurb. This allow you to purchase, begin to read or--if you're like my husband--finish reading the book.
2nd week:  I will share what I discovered between the covers.
I also teased a little by writing--occasionally Wednesday will hold other treasures.
I concluded the post with...I hope you will join me on this adventure.
***
Next post:  ???
Next Wednesday:  discussing The Sentimentalists

2 comments:

Laurie Buchanan said...

Leanne - My reading list currently has over 100 books on it, so I'm not going to bite off more than I can chew -- though it sounds like a lot of fun. I will, however, continue to come back here to see whats shakin' in your neck of the woods.

Author Leanne Dyck said...

I understand and appreciate your support.