Saturday, October 8, 2011

Please welcome Terrill Welch (artist, photographer, writer)

What fine artists have inspired you?

Emily Carr has been the longest and most sustaining inspiration for me as an artist. I resonate with her point of view and challenges. Her writings about her art career give me a tremendous sense of hope and possibility. There are others of course like Camille Pissarro, Claude Monet, Lawren Harris and Vincent Van Gogh. But it is Emily who sits with me when I am struggling and wrestling a canvas down to size. As for my photography it is hands down the approach of John Daido Loori. His idea that a person waits to be invited to take a photograph is very much a foundational element in my practice of taking the photograph that is there to be taken rather than anticipating the shot.


You do a wonderful job of capturing Mayne Island's beauty. Please discuss your process.

Leanne, I think most places are beautiful. (I agree. However, not all places speak to all artists--and I believe it is this conversation that is the genesious of creation.) Mayne Island just happens to be where I am right now. What surprises me sometimes is that local people often do not recognize the location of my images or paintings even though I know the physical sites are familiar. I think this is because they have never framed the view as I am framing it. So when I present the image it is the first time their eyes see it. My process is very straight forward.

I go out and I walk with my camera or I set up and paint en plein air or by using my photographs for reference. I photograph and paint what I feel as much as what I see. My eye is always musing about what to pull into a frame while my body is always sensing and breathing the place that I am in. This may sound weird but Mayne Island allows for big loose energy fields. A person can relax and reach out and feel to the edges of the universe on Mayne Island. This is different than when we are in the city where we must keep our energy field wrapped close to us. In the city there needs to be room for everyone and everything and so we are careful that we aren't poking into each other's personal space. I think this openness of Mayne Island comes through in my work. When people experience one of photographs or paintings it is as if they know there is room for them to "be" with and in the image. As much as any technical skill or talent I might offer I believe this is a significant draw to my work.

Are you led by inspiration or intent?

This is such a tough question to answer Leanne. I am led by intent and maintain momentum by inspiration but the two threads are forever spiraling around each other to the point that it is a both and/or kind of situation. I need both inspiration and intent.



What is your daily routine?

Leanne I am one of those strange beings that are extremely self-directed. I do not need to place much in the way of routine around my day for it to become productive. I have a big-picture vision and then the immediate present. This allows my daily routine to be flexible and organized by intention. I ask myself in the morning "what is it I most want to get done today?" Then I go and do it. I tend to accomplish my best creative work first thing in the morning. I often leave my networking and visiting to the afternoon and evening. That is about it for my daily routine.

Are you currently working on a painting? What is the subject?

I am currently working on a 36 X 36 inch seascape oil painting that is mostly clouds. It is time I start the final stage for its completion. With a bit of luck, it will be unveiled on a post at Creative Potager soon. This painting will be included in a new series I am working on of seascape paintings "Squared to the Sea". Five plein air paintings were completed this summer as part of this new body of work.


This breathtaking photo graces the cover of Terrill Welch's new book:  Precious Seconds--Mayne Island in paintings and photographs

Short Biography:

Mayne Island artist and photographer Terrill Welch's distinctive palette, quick sure painting strokes and photographic images capture forest, sandstone, sea and sky. They remind us that there is only one moment--this one.

Born in the village of Vanderhoof in north central British Columbia, Terrill's art training came at an early age and continued more in the European style of mentoring and tutoring.

Terrill Welch's work in water miscible oil paintings and her photography printed on canvas showcase the beautiful mysterious and rugged southwest coast of Canada.

A complete artist's biography is located on Terrill's popular Creative Potager blog at http://creativepotager.wordpress.com/

Contact information:

Terrill Welch
artist, photographer, writer

Online Gallery
Creative Potager blog
Photography at redbubble
Google+
Twitter

Facebook:  Terrill Welch

email:  tawelch@shaw.ca
phone:  1-250-539-5877
***
Next Saturday:  Our visit with Terrill continues

5 comments:

holessence said...

Terrill - I enjoyed reading the explanation of your process. Even more so, I resonated with your observation about the way intent and inspiration dance together.

DazyDayWriter said...

Wonderful interview! Terrill ... great to find you here ... and Leanne, you asked some good questions. Here's a quote I'd like to share ...

To send light into the darkness of men's hearts - such is the duty of the artist. ~Schumann

Terrill lives up to this mission and then some! Bravo.

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you for leaving such a beautiful and very fitting quote, Daisy.
Terrill will be back next Saturday. I hope you can join us then as well.

creativepotager said...

Hello Laurie and Daisy,

Good to come home from Thanksgiving weekend and find you have dropped by Leanne's blog. I do agree, Leanne does ask great questions.

Thank you again Leanne for featuring my work.

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you, Terrill. BUT, but all I can do is ask--it's your answers that make the post.