Friday, October 21, 2011

Please welcome Barbara Elsborg

How/why did you start to write?

I've always written from being a small child but my writing took off in my teens when I started to write fan fiction based on TV shows -- with me as the heroine starring alongside my favourite heroes. I wrote because I wasn't happy. I didn't have friends and didn't fit in, so it was comforting to create a world where I felt I belonged.

How did you become an author?

I'd written suspense novels and romantic novels for a while and had nothing but rejections, and then I joined Critique Circle. It was a very useful way to learn more about the craft and to find out what worked and didn't work in my writing. I watched one of the writers I was critiquing find a publisher for her erotic story and thought -- I can do that. So I changed genre, submitted to Ellora's Cave and was accepted.

What was your first published piece?

My first book was Perfect Timing, an erotic romantic comedy, but I'd had a few published pieces before that. A children's short story won a competition, I had a few factual pieces published in magazines and I wrote travel articles for the largest regional newspaper in the UK for a few years. But my very first fictional piece for adults was a horror flash for Alienskin magazine. I was paid $5. Fantastic!

Where was it published?

My novel, Perfect Timing, was published by Ellora's Cave first as an e-book but also in paperback now.

How long ago?

2008

Do you write in more than one genre?

I've written in many genres but seem to have settled into suspense stories and erotic romances of one sort or another. I like reading suspense novels but I'm much less keen on reading erotic novels. Though to be honest, I read almost anything, though not hard core sci fi or high fantasy.

What did you do before embarking on your writing career? Was it an asset to your writing? How?

I've had an number of jobs. Working for the government in several guises, a short spell at an advertising agency and I sold cyanide for a few years. Everything I've done has been useful in my writing. Life is one big resource! I shamelessly use my friends though hopefully they won't recognize themselves. Though a few guys have asked me to use their names in the erotic romances. Er -- no!

What inspires you?

Books, dreams, music, life in general. No one specific thing. An idea occurs to me and I run with it. I don't plot or plan anything. I have no idea what's going to happen from one chapter to the next. Makes writing interesting but difficult!

Parting words

Thanks for having me, Leanne (You're most welcome, Barbara. It was my pleasure.)

Bio

Barbara Elsborg lives in West Yorkshire in the north of England. She always wanted to be a spy, but having confessed to everyone without them even resorting to torture, she decided it was not for her. Vulcanology scorched her feet. A morbid fear of sharks put paid to marine biology. So instead, she spent several years successfully selling cyanide.

After dragging up two rotten, ungrateful children and frustrating her sexy, devoted, wonderful husband (who can now stop twisting her arm) she finally has time to conduct an affair with an electrifying plugged-in male, her laptop.

Her romantic books feature quirky heroines and bad boys, and she hopes they are so much fun to read as they are to write. The suspense books are dark and deadly -- be warned!

Website

Blog


Book blurb


Some crime can never be forgotten.

Kate Evans doesn't take risks. She chose her apartment with care -- a safe district with a good neighbor -- a place where she can live a quiet, unassuming, under-the-radar existence. Then she makes one mistake and opens her door to accept a delivery of flowers from a secret admirer and her life will never be the same again. A guy she's never seen before bursts into her apartment and asks her to marry him. Jack Thompson won't take no for an answer and drags Kate on a cross country journey to hell.


Invalided out of the police, Nathan Beranson works as a private investigator in San Antonio, Texas where he spends too much of his time following unfaithful spouses and delivering the bad news to their partners. When his fiancee cheats on him with Jack Thompson, the half-brother Nathan's only just met, he becomes obsessed with Jack in the same unhealthy way as his revenge-seeking clients. By the time Nathan finally realizes putting the ghosts of the past to rest is a wiser option than settling an old score, it's too late. He's already been drawn into his sibling's latest deadly game and Nathan and Kate find their nightmare is only just beginning.

2 comments:

Barbara Elsborg said...

Thanks for having me on your blog, Leanne!

Author Leanne Dyck said...

It was my pleasure, Barbara. Thank you for visiting.